Commission on Presidential Debates announces move to “protect the health and safety of all involved”
Photo: Getty Images
Minutes after the bipartisan Commission on Presidential Debates announced that next week’s second debate would be held virtually, President Trump said he would not participate.
“I’m not going to waste my time on a virtual debate,” he told Fox Business host Maria Bartiromo in an interview on Thursday morning.
The commission had just announced a change in plans for the Oct. 15 debate to “protect the health and safety of all involved” since Trump tested positive for COVID-19 last week and was hospitalized for several days.
“The second presidential debate will take the form of a town meeting, in which the candidates would participate from separate remote locations,” the commission said, with Steve Scully of C-SPAN still serving as moderator from a location in Miami where town-hall participants would also be present.
A remote debate is not without precedent. During the third presidential debate in 1960, Richard Nixon and John F. Kennedy participated from opposite coasts.
More to come…
Source: Read Full Article