Queen Elizabeth news: Monarch’s bins left UNEMPTIED as strike action hits Windsor Castle | The Sun

THE QUEEN'S bins will be left unemptied as strike action hits Windsor Castle.

Rubbish collectors from the GMB union who pick up from the royal residence have voted to walk out August 31.

They are calling for an improvement on the six per cent pay rise offer made by the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead’s waste contractor Serco.

A spokesman for GMB said: “The present rate of pay for refuse loaders is £9.91 per hour and even with the six per cent offer which has been rejected by members, still sits below the rates paid by neighbouring authorities.”

GMB regional officer Nikki Dancey said: “This is one of the most expensive areas in the country to live and this pay offer neither reflects that, nor the current rate of inflation, or the attached cost-of-living crisis.

“Increasing numbers of Serco workers are being forced into claiming benefits and using food banks to survive, and this will only worsen as we head towards winter.

“There is still time though for Serco to avoid any inconvenience to local residents — which of course may include the Queen.”

Read our Royal Family live blog for the latest news & updates…

  • Matt Snape

    Prince William's fossil fuel links trigger angry backlash

    Prince William is experiencing backlash over his conservation charity's links to fossil fuels, with the British public naming him a "save the planet preacher".

    Express Online reports that a new investigation has discovered the charity founded by the Duke of Cambridge, who last year launched the Earthshot Prize, keeps its investments in a bank that is one of the world's biggest supporters of fossil fuels.

    The revelation has led many to question the Prince’s commitment to climate change.

    Writing on Twitter, Alish said: "Save the planet preacher that uses choppers as taxis. What were you expecting?

    "He doesn't care, he's just virtue-signalling."

  • Matt Snape

    Prince William’s upcoming trip to New York to overlap with another royal couple

    Prince William will be visiting New York city next month and his visit coincides with that of another royal couple.

    Express Online reports that Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary of Denmark will also be visiting the city at the same time. 

    The royal couple is set to attend the United Nations General Assembly and will participate in the launch of Denmark's candidacy for a seat on the UN Security Council on September 22.

    On Friday, Kensington Palace declared that Prince William will also be arriving at New York City in September for another Earthshot-related event – The Earthshot Prize Innovation Summit.

    The Duke of Cambridge, 40, will be in the US for the Earthshot Prize Innovation Summit on September 21. 

    Prince William is set to address the attendants, including last year's prize winners and finalists, alongside Michael R. Bloomberg, who works to help scale and replicate the Earthshot solutions as Global Advisor to the winners of the Earthshot Prize.

  • Matt Snape

    Prince Charles’s new perfume

    Prince Charles has launched his own perfume based on his Highgrove home.

    Express Online reports that the future monarch has teamed up with Penhaligon to unveil the new fragrance inspired by the "magnificently fragrant" summers at the royal getaway.

    According to the Highgrove Gardens website, the perfume will reflect the smells and nature of the gardens.

  • Matt Snape

    Princess Diana’s ‘Wedding of Century’ to be featured at Las Vegas exhibition

    Princess Diana’s exhibition which will include several of her authentic evening gowns is all set to be open in Las Vegas next month. 

    Express Online reports the attraction features 12 curated rooms including “Wedding of Century,” where couples can actually marry among thoughtfully chosen artefacts from Princess Diana and Prince Charles' 1981 nuptials, including a dramatic recreation of Diana's bridal gown.

    The wedding package includes a ceremony and private dinner inside the room.

    All visitors to the event will enjoy the opportunity to witness the life-size replica of the iconic wedding dress made out of paper by Belgian artist and sculptor Isabelle de Borchgrave.

  • Matt Snape

    Where are Meghan and Harry in the line of succession?

    Regardless of Prince Harry’s decision to step down as a senior member of the royal family, should neither William nor Kate become king or queen, the Duke of Sussex still remains sixth in the line of succession. 

  • Louis Allwood

    Royal Family has no plans to mark the anniversary of Lady Di’s death

    August 31 will mark the 25th anniversary of Princess Diana’s passing, but the Firm reportedly has no plans to commemorate the day.

    Speaking to the Daily Express, royal expert Richard Palmer said: “It’s interesting that I can remember after the tenth anniversary, a senior royal aide said to me [that] ‘hopefully we can draw a line under it all now’.

    “That really wasn’t the case because people were still wanting to talk about her.”

    He added: “Unless there is some big surprise, which I am not aware of, I think we’re not going to see the Royal Family do much at all to recognise what, in most cases, would be an important anniversary, 25 years on.”

  • Louis Allwood

    Prince William ‘has no plans to see Harry at his LA home’

    Prince William is set to visit New York next month – but it's understood he has no plans to see US-based Harry while there.

    The Duke of Cambridge is gathering his 2021 Earthshot Prize winners for a major summit in the Big Apple.

    It would take him more than six hours to fly from New York to the Duke of Sussex's home in California – making it difficult for the brothers to meet during the fleeting trip.

    Wills, 40, set up the Earthshot scheme last year, paying out £50million to projects around the world that find ways to save the planet.

    And he is due to continue its success next month, attending a summit in New York during NYC Climate Week and the 77th Session of the UN General Assembly.

    There, the Duke will address guests alongside billionaire Michael Bloomberg – who is also Global Advisor to the winners of The Earthshot Prize.

  • Louis Allwood

    Meghan and Harry intend to focus on charity

    On Monday it was revealed the Sussexes intend to travel to Europe in September.

    A spokesperson has confirmed that the Duke and Duchess plan to organise their trip around charities “close to their hearts.”

    A source told the Telegraph that Meghan and Harry have no current plans to meet with Prince William and Kate, and now it seems the couple are getting rid of all hope there may be a Suss-bridge reunion.

  • Louis Allwood

    Harry and Meghan face US rejection, as interest falls

    Dan Wootton has asserted that US interest in Prince Harry and Meghan Markle has all but dried up, as their royal links get “ever more distant.”

    Speaking to MailOnline, Wootton said: “Much to their horror, the Sussexes are discovering that the US interest in them is decreasing, as their proximity to the Royal Family and Britain grows ever more distant.”

    This comes just months after the couple agreed to a staggering £100m Netflix deal, in the hope of raising more funds.

  • Louis Allwood

    Kate and Federer team up for new charity initiative

    Kate Middleton has always used her position as the Duchess of Cambridge to lift others up, and charity is a key part of that.

    Her most recent charitable venture will see the Duchess team up with tennis legend Roger Federer on behalf of the Laver Cup.

    All proceeds raised from tickets to the Laver Cup Open Practice Day will go toward Action for Children and the Lawn Tennis Association.

    A statement by the Laver Cup said: “The Laver Cup is committed to supporting community initiatives impacting young people in each city it visits and the collaboration with Action for Children and the LTA was initiated by a recommendation from The Duchess.

    “Her Royal Highness is passionate about supporting grassroots tennis and encouraging young people from all backgrounds to become involved in the sport.”

  • Louis Allwood

    ‘Secret meet-ups’ for Harry & Meghan?

    Meghan Markle and Prince Harry could be planning “secret meet-ups” with William and Kate, a royal commentator has claimed.

    Speaking to GB News, commentator Stephanie Takyi said: “Obviously, as we know, the brothers have a bit of a frosty relationship.

    “At the Platinum Jubilee, they stayed as far away from each other as possible so I don’t think anything’s going to be mended in that relationship any time soon.

    “But maybe stuff does happen behind closed doors that’s not in the public glare.

    “Maybe there are secret conversations and secret meet-ups which are not highlighted.”

  • Louis Allwood

    Inside Kate’s secret ‘naughty’ detail hidden in her favourite dresses

    Kate Middleton is a fashion icon, no one can argue with that.

    But, did you know each of her dresses has one secret “hidden” detail that only the most eagle-eyed royals fans will spot?

    You may recognise some of Alessandra Rich’s most well-known outfits like the blue dress Kate wore to Wimbledon this year and the white polka-dot number that took Ascot by storm.

    The dresses that Kate tends to opt for, often have longer sleeves and a calf-length skirt, but Alessandra also makes racier designs.

    Plenty of her designs include a thigh split or are lower cut than the options the Duchess goes for.

    Speaking to The Telegraph, Alessandra said: “All my pieces are like this – they cover the arms or the legs but there’s always a split somewhere, or a body chain underneath. It is good to be a bit naughty.”

  • Louis Allwood

    No end in sight for William and Harry’s feud, expert claims

    A royal expert has claimed that reconciliation is not currently on the cards for Prince Harry and his brother, the Duke of Cambridge.

    The two brothers are unlikely to come together until Harry’s bombshell memoir hits shelves, author Phil Dampier has suggested.

    “I can’t see any chance of a reconciliation between the Sussexes and the Cambridges until Harry’s book is out of the way,” he said.

    “And it’s likely to make things worse!”

    Many believe Harry’s memoir could cause chaos for the Firm, with one royal expert suggesting it will make the Sussexes’ bombshell Oprah Winfrey interview look like “child’s play.”

  • Louis Allwood

    Royal critic Amol Rajan to become new University Challenge host

    Journalist and broadcaster Amol Rajan will take over from Jeremy Paxman as host of University Challenge from autumn 2023, the BBC has said.

    Rajan, 39, takes over from Paxman who is ending his reign as the longest-serving current quizmaster on UK TV after 28 years.

    He will become only the third person to host the BBC programme, which first aired in 1962 with presenter Bamber Gascoigne.

    Rajan has been the BBC's media editor since December 2016 and a presenter on BBC Radio 4's Today programme since May 2021.

    He has also presented on BBC Radio 2 and The One Show, and was previously editor of The Independent newspaper.

  • Louis Allwood

    Explained: Amol Rajan's former run-ins with the Royal Family

    During his time at the BBC, The Duchess of Sussex complained about Rajan's reporting of her legal case against the Mail On Sunday in his podcast Harry, Meghan And The Media show.

    Similarly, his BBC documentary The Princes And The Press was criticised by the royal households and he apologised for comments which resurfaced from a decade ago which called the Duke of Edinburgh a "racist buffoon" and the Prince of Wales "scientifically illiterate".

    The BBC's 2021/22 annual report showed Rajan was on a salary of £325,000-£329,999 and is expected to be paid more as the host of University Challenge.

    He will continue to be a presenter on the Today programme and will also continue the Amol Rajan Interviews show.

  • Louis Allwood

    The Queen’s bins left unemptied as strike action hits Windsor Castle

    THE Queen’s bins will be left unemptied as strike action hits Windsor Castle.

    Rubbish collectors from the GMB union who pick up from the royal residence have voted to walk out August 31.

    They are calling for an improvement on the six per cent pay rise offer made by the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead’s waste contractor Serco.

    A spokesman for GMB said: “The present rate of pay for refuse loaders is £9.91 per hour and even with the six per cent offer which has been rejected by members, still sits below the rates paid by neighbouring authorities.”

    GMB regional officer Nikki Dancey said: “This is one of the most expensive areas in the country to live and this pay offer neither reflects that, nor the current rate of inflation, or the attached cost-of-living crisis.

    “Increasing numbers of Serco workers are being forced into claiming benefits and using food banks to survive, and this will only worsen as we head towards winter.

    “There is still time though for Serco to avoid any inconvenience to local residents — which of course may include the Queen.”

  • Louis Allwood

    Security to be at forefront of Harry’s mind during UK visit

    Security will be at the forefront of Harry’s mind as he travels from his home in California for high-profile appearances in Europe next month.

    The duke, who quit as a senior working royal in 2020, is bringing legal action over a decision not to allow him to pay for police protection for himself and his family when in the UK.

    Last month, he won a bid to bring a High Court claim against the Home Office.

    His challenge concerns the February 2020 decision of the Executive Committee for the Protection of Royalty and Public Figures (Ravec) over his security, after being told he would no longer be given the “same degree” of personal protective security when visiting.

  • Louis Allwood

    Royal sacrifice

    WILLIAM & Kate have SACRIFICED their dreams to "put their children first" by planning to move to Windsor from London, an expert says.

    It is believed Prince William & Kate Middleton are moving their family to the four-bed Adelaide Cottage on the Windsor estate from Kensington Palace in London.

    And according to royal author Omid Scobie, the Cambridges now believe Windsor is a more suitable area for George, Charlotte and Louis to grow up.

    Writing for Yahoo News, the expert said: "Though London was originally the dream, it became increasingly apparent to the duke and duchess that living in the middle of Kensington Gardens may not be the best place for Prince George, nine, Princess Charlotte, seven, and Prince Louis, four, as they grow up."

    The Finding Freedom author also claimed he was informed by a source that the Cambridges had thought about moving permanently to Anmer Hall in Norfolk.

    However the couple decided it was to far away from their beloved London, the author said.

    Quoting the source, Scobie continued: "They thought about moving to [their home in] Norfolk, but as active senior working royals they could never be that far away from London, so that’s where Windsor came into the picture."

  • Louis Allwood

    Meghan and Harry want to keep the Queen happy while on UK trip, expert claims

    A royal expert has stated that the Sussexes are desperate not to upset the Queen during their visit to the UK next month.

    Speaking to the mirror, royal commentator Ingrid Seward said: “Finding time to see Harry’s grandmother the Queen whether it be at Balmoral or Windsor Castle is important.

    “She might be 96 and be suffering from mobility problems, but she is still in charge.

    “There is no way the Sussexes would want to upset her and making the effort to travel to Scotland if the Queen is still in residence, would go down well.”

  • Louis Allwood

    Royal expert predicts Harry ‘won’t approve’ of Diana’s portrayal in The Crown’s new season

    With the fifth season of Netflix’s The Crown set to air this November, Royal experts have predicted that Prince Harry may disapprove of its portrayal of Lady Di.

    The upcoming season will reportedly cover the death of Princess Diana, who passed away during a devastating car crash in 1997.

    Tina Brown told the Daily Express: “I don’t think that the next season of The Crown is going to be something that Harry is going to seriously approve of.”

    She continued: “We don’t know how it will depict his mother. But right now, there’s nothing that’s come out about their mother that they like.”

  • Louis Allwood

    Netflix ‘love’ Harry and Meghan’s plan to renew their wedding vows

    Following reports that Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are looking to renew their vowels, one royal author has claimed that Netflix “will love” the idea.

    Royal author Angela Levin said that Netflix “will love” the plans.

    She tweeted: “I am sure Netflix will love it but I wonder how many family members will be invited.”

  • Louis Allwood

    Unknown if Harry will meet Charles during UK visit

    Prince Harry is set to return to the UK next month in order to attend a series of charity events with his wife.

    But will he take the time out his busy schedule to mend the rift with this father?

    Currently is is unknown if Harry and Charles will meet next month, but they reportedly enjoyed their time together during the platinum jubilee.

    The heir and wife Camilla are understood to have been “absolutely thrilled” to spend time with Harry, Meghan and their children as the nation celebrated.

  • Louis Allwood

    Harry throwing 'tantrum' over UK security

    During the latest Royally Us show, hosts Christina Garibaldi and Christine Ross discussed the latest in Harry's security row.

    Ms Garibaldi said, quoting someone who had written into the show: "He's thrown a tantrum regarding security because he wants 24/7 police protection when visiting the UK for his commercial ventures outside of the monarchy.

    "No, why should the British taxpayers fund your police protection for your pursuit of wealth?."

  • Louis Allwood

    Stick with The Sun for the latest live Royal updates

    Check for new updates on the royal family and her Majesty the Queen here at The Sun.

    Royal fans are currently awaiting the release of Prince Harry’s tell-all memoir, and the couple’s Netflix documentary, while the Queen continues to come back stronger from her mobility issues.

    Stay tuned here for updates everyday!

  • Louis Allwood

    Lady Louise receives her A-level results

    The young royal is following in the footsteps of William and Kate after receiving her A-level results yesterday.

    Eighteen-year-old Lady Louise will be heading to St Andrews University in Scotland this September.

    The Palace released a short statement following the announcement: “Having received her A Level results today, Lady Louise will start at St Andrews University in September to study English.”  

    Source: Read Full Article