I can’t leave my house after life-threatening meat allergy was triggered by tick | The Sun

A MAN has been left unable to leave his house after a life-threatening meat allergy was triggered by a tick.

Christopher Goldman, 28, was walking a dog through the woods near his home in Woking, Surrey, in December when he was bitten by the parasite.

He was then bit another four more times causing him to suffer from alpha-gal syndrome – a tickborne illness which causes anaphylaxis if red meat is consumed.

The business production manager has since suffered eight fainting episodes with five happening in just one day.

In June, Christopher experienced his most severe reaction yet admitting he was "waiting to die".

He told Sky News: "I woke up with intense itching and I was very hot.


Mum issues warning after baby left fighting for life with little-known bug

My sons were scarred by holiday henna tats – one still hasRonaldo on his leg

"I did not want to wake up my girlfriend so I went to the bathroom.

"My skin was crimson red and I had hives all over my body."

He then collapsed on the bathroom floor.

When re-gaining consciousness, he said he couldn't shout out for help so just lay there terrified.

Most read in Health


Mum issues warning after baby left fighting for life with little-known bug


My sons were scarred by holiday henna tats – one still hasRonaldo on his leg


Guzzling fizzy drinks and cakes increases risk of painful health condition


From sweet potatoes to sardines… 8 foods that can add years to your life

He added: "I just spent the time looking up at the ceiling, just waiting to either die or see what happened to me.

"It was definitely the most traumatic experience ever."

Christopher now believes any exposure, including airborne, will trigger a reaction.

He doesn't leave his home over fears he'll come into contact with either wool, diary products, leather or anything connected to a red-meat animal.

Forced to carry an epi-pen, wear an emergency contact bracelet and live in just three rooms of his home, Christopher has even piled up anything that might be a danger in the front room of his house.

A blood test confirmed his tick bites had developed into alpha-gal syndrome.

It is caused when the tick responsible for the bite carries the specific molecule in its saliva.

It then enters a person's blood stream causing their antibodies to form a reaction to red meat.

The allergy however, is rare.

Alpha-gal Syndrome

What is alpha-gal?

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Alpha-gal can be found in read meat (pork, beef, rabbit, lamb, venison) and products made from mammals (including gelatin, cow’s milk, and milk products).

What is alpha-gal syndrome?

Alpha-gal syndrome (AGS) is a serious, potentially life-threatening allergic condition.

AGS is also called alpha-gal allergy, red meat allergy, or tick bite meat allergy.

It is not caused by an infection.

AGS symptoms occur after people eat red meat or are exposed to other products containing alpha-gal.

What are the symptoms?

  • Hives or itchy rash
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Heartburn or indigestion
  • Diarrhea
  • Cough, shortness of breath, or difficulty breathing
  • Drop in blood pressure
  • Swelling of the lips, throat, tongue, or eye lids
  • Dizziness or faintness
  • Severe stomach pain

Source: Read Full Article