A survey has shown that the nation is expected to spend an extra £225 per household on food and booze at Christmas.
But I’ve got some tips on how you can reduce your share of that spend, with some treats that are as mouth-watering as they are pocket-pleasing.
- EASY CHEESY: Not only does baked Camembert look fancy and taste great but it’s so easy to make. Just pair it with some crusty bread and you’ve got yourself a winner. Aldi have a large baking Camembert wheel for just £5.49, compared to one the same size at Waitrose costing £6.99.
- BEEF UP: As well as being a welcome change from the ever-present quiche and sausage rolls, this quirky take on a classic can be great value too. While Waitrose have 12 mini beef Yorkshire puddings for £6, you can buy the same delicious dozen from Asda for just £3.
- GET LUCKY: If your hosting a bash at home, why not tell friends and family it’s a pot-luck theme? Prepare a few standard main items of party fare and ask guests to bring along their own favourites. It’s then lucky dip what you’ll all be eating. Not only does it save you loads of time and money, it also gets everyone involved on the day. It’s all very Christmassy.
- SEE ME ROLLIN’: Classic profiteroles may seem too traditional, but quality never goes out of fashion. Asda Party Chocolate and Hazelnut Profiteroles, £2 for 360g are sure to go down a treat. You’ll get more bang for your buck than Melbury & Appleton’s version, Chocolate Hazelnut Bignole, £3.75 for just six.
SAVE: at least £1.75
- QUACKIN’ DEAL: Add a little Oriental flavour to your table with duck spring rolls. You can pick up ten for £1 from B&M’s new line of party food, compared to ten for £2 from Asda.
CLEANSE with the HoMedics facial cleansing brush from the DigitalWonders store on eBay, a cheaper alternative to the Clarisonic Mia 2 cleanser.
Reader's saving tip
PATRICIA OLIVER from Bangor, County Down, says: “I use my old copies of The Sun to make “paper sticks”, excellent as money-saving kindling on my fire during the cold winter months.”
- Send tips to sunsavers.co.uk/tips and you will get 28 codes worth £5 if your tip is used. Please include your name and town.
Shop & save
TUCK into Sainsbury’s new Melting Belgian Chocolate Billionaires Dome. Now half price, down from £12.
Hot right now
SPRUCE up your decorations at Homebase, where there is a tasty £10 off all cut Christmas trees – while stocks last.
My Sun Savers fiver
EILEEN RAYNES from Thornton-Cleveleys, Lancs, says: “I’m saving my Savers fivers for a helicopter ride for my mum’s birthday.”
- Send your Savers fiver story to sunsavers.co.uk/fivers and you’ll get 28 codes worth £5 if your tip is used. Please include your name and town.
FURRY friend fans will love this Lisa Buckridge It’s A Dog’s Life mustard tea towel from beautynaturals.com. RRP £10, now £5.
Deal of the day
ENJOY a spin in a go-kart with teamsport.co.uk. Book one full paying adult or child – and get another driver for just £1, usually from £20pp.
Play now to win £15,000 on the Sun Savers Raffle
JOIN thousands of readers taking part in the new Sun Savers Raffle.
Every Sun Savers code you enter will earn you a ticket for our £15k monthly Raffle. And for every ten tickets you collect in a calendar month, you get a GOLDEN TICKET for our £80k Raffle, which takes place every three months, with the first one at the end of June.