Simple trick to hide chargers from your bedside table sparks debate

Mum shares her simple trick to hide unsightly chargers from your bedside table – but not everyone is convinced

  • A mum has shared a simple trick to organise the chargers on the bedside table 
  • The tip involves removing the drawers to place the cords inside 
  • But the tip was deemed a fire hazard by other parents on social media 
  • Power cords need ventilation and shouldn’t be placed close to other items

An Australian mum has revealed her simple trick to organise the chargers beside the bedside table, but not everyone deems it to be a safe solution. 

Carolina, from Perth, shared a video on TikTok demonstrating how to execute the easy hack, which has since gone viral and received more than 127,000 views.

In the short video Carolina removed the drawers, pulled the power board through the back and inserted the drawers back into place.

But while the tip neatly arranged the space, some TikTok users were concerned about whether placing the electrical appliances in a drawer would become a fire hazard.

Scroll down for video 


The bedside table was originally cluttered with cords connected to a charging board, but the trick quickly fixed this problem 

While the hack hides the cables inside the top drawer and makes the bedside table look neater, many voted against following the advice.

‘Isn’t this a fire hazard? Plug and appliances get hot during charging and use,’ one person wrote.

‘Um people…please don’t do this, it’s a fire hazard,’ another confirmed.

‘As a property manager, I have seen many fire incidents due to electrical shortages, close contact with flammable materials. This is a fire hazard,’ a third added.

According to Fire and Rescue NSW, problems with power boards can arise from dislodged placement, poor placement, inadequate ventilation and overuse.

The fire department recommends only using power boards with built-in safety switches, placing the boards in an open area and regularly checking the plugs are firmly fixed.

As an alternative to Carolina’s idea, the power boards can be placed beside the bedside table on the floor or hooked onto the side if it’s not close to the bed.

The best way to prevent electrical fires is to unplug all cords that aren’t being used or turn off the electricity via the power switch. 

How to prevent electrical fires: 

Don’t overload powerpoints and powerboards.

Regularly check electrical leads for damage and faults.

Never use faulty electrical leads or appliances.

Store your electric blanket safely – roll don’t fold.

Before going to bed, turn off all electrical appliances at the powerpoint.

Turn off electric blankets and heaters when you’re not at home and before getting into bed.

Source: Fire and Rescue NSW

Source: Read Full Article