Strangers send mountains of gifts to 7 children whose mum died before Christmas

Seven children whose mum died of cancer weeks before Christmas were given mountains of presents from their kindhearted community.

Katrina Scott, 32, died of liver cancer a day after marrying long-term partner Jay Scott .

She left behind seven kids, aged six to 22, who were heartbroken to spend the festive period without their mother.

But Derbyshire Live says friends – and generous strangers in their community – gave the youngsters "hundreds" of presents to open on Christmas Day.

Jay, 48, said: "When I saw how much they got I was just appreciative.

"Someone anonymously donated £1,000 so I bought them some clothes and a PS4 which is something we wouldn't ordinarily afford.

  • Schoolboy's adorable reaction over iPhone Christmas present warms thousands of hearts

  • Grandfather who started smoking aged 12 suffering devastating effects decades on

"It's nice to have people like that in the community.

"It helped the kids through it."

The builder and landscaper spent Christmas Day with Ayesha, 22, Callum, 13, Levi, nine, Tyler, 11, twins Kaitlin-Rose and Poppy-Mae, six and Lillie-Rose, seven, at their home in Mickleover, Derby.

  • Starving 'skinny and hairless' Alsatian living as stray fought to survive

Jay said Katrina had bought the children some Christmas presents before she passed away, as well as the gifts donated from the community and the Derby Secret Santa scheme.

But he said he kept back some of the presents to use as rewards throughout the year and for the children's birthdays.

Katrina's dad Brian, the children's grandfather, also went to the house on the day to cook a Christmas dinner for the family.

Jay said: "We got a Christmas hamper and a good friend of ours bought the children a motorcross bike.

"But towards the end of the day, when the kids had all gone to bed, you're left with your own thoughts.

"It was hard, but it was as special as it could be."

Katrina, whose funeral was held on December 11, was told in September that she had stage four liver cancer which had spread to the lungs and bile duct, making it terminal.

The care worker had always dreamed of marrying Jay, her partner of 10 years, and eventually tied the knot in front of friends and family last month.

But she passed away at the Royal Derbyshire Hospital just one day later.

Source: Read Full Article