Thousands of people could see benefits payments STOPPED if they go abroad – what you need to know | The Sun

THOUSANDS of people who claim Personal Independence Payments (PIP) could see their payments stopped if they go abroad.

As many as 2.9million people claim PIP, according to latest figures from the government.

People aged 16 or over with long-term ill health or a disability can get it – even if they're working, have savings or get other benefits.

But if you claim it and you're planning on going away on a long holiday abroad, your payments might stop if you make this little-known mistake.

If your trip is four weeks or more, rules state you must let the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) know.

That's because people receiving the benefit have to let the DWP know about any changes in circumstance.

Read more in Money

Boris unveils radical housing shake-up using benefits to help pay mortgages

Thousands owed payout after DWP underpaid £2.6bn in error – are you affected?

You'll need to tell them the date you are leaving the country, how long you are going away for, which country you are going to, and why you are going abroad.

If you fail to let the DWP know about this, it "may affect the claimant's entitlement to PIP", according to its handbook on the benefit online.

What do I need to do?

If you're jetting off for four or more weeks, you'll need to contact the PIP enquiry line.

Most read in Money


Map reveals areas in UK struggling the most with cost of living crisis


Brand new 50p launched to celebrate major event- but it could be worth much more


Boris unveils radical housing shake-up using benefits to help pay mortgages


The savings account you can open with £1 – and it could get you a £4,000 bonus

This is where you report any changes in circumstances.

The phone number is: 0800 121 4433, and lines are open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

There may be charges though, which you can find out about here.

Who is eligible for PIP?

There are two parts to PIP: a daily living part to help with everyday tasks and a mobility part if you need help with getting around.

Whether you're eligible for one or both parts – and how much you'll get – depends on how difficult you find those things.

You might get the daily living part of PIP if you need help with tasks such as eating, drinking, dressing and communication.

Claimants could get the second part if they find it hard to work out a route and follow it, physically move around or leave their home.

You can find the full eligibility requirements on the website.

You can get PIP at the same time as all other benefits, except Armed Forces Independence Payment.

If you get Constant Attendance Allowance you’ll get less of the daily living part of PIP.

If you get War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement you will not get the mobility part of PIP.

You can get PIP if you’re working or have savings.

How much will I get?

Rates for Personal Independence Payments (PIP) rose in April.

Payments for the daily living component went up from £89.60 to £92.40 for enhanced and from £60 to £61.85 for standard.

For the mobility component it went from £62.55 to £64.50 for enhanced, and £23.70 to £24.45 for standard.

Read More on The Sun

Flight attendant’s top hotel safety tip – and you only need a piece of loo roll

I’m furious after the council sold my garden to my neighbours behind my back

Six million Brits with disabilities will get a £150 cost of living payment.

Here's who will be eligible for it and when you'll be paid.

We pay for your stories!

Do you have a story for The Sun Online Money team?

Email us at [email protected]

    Source: Read Full Article