SALLY Rooney's Beautiful World, Where Are You has been named the best holiday read – beating the Harry Potter collection and Fifty Shades of Grey.
A poll of 2,000 adults revealed Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice and Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird completed the top five.
The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, by John Boyne, came sixth, followed by The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman and The Diary of Anne Frank.
Other popular reads included My Sister’s Keeper, by Jodi Picoult, and Suzanne Collins’ The Hunger Games.
The research, commissioned by national holiday cottage company Original Cottages, also found travellers will get through five books during a typical getaway.
And 60 per cent will read more on a week’s holiday than in an average working week.
Nearly six in 10 (58 per cent) prefer to read when away as they can relax and unwind, with 59 per cent believing that buying new books is a key part of the travel prep.
It also emerged romance was considered the top genre to read on a staycation, while others enjoy mystery, historical and literary fiction.
Most read in The Sun
HELD BY BOYS IN BLUE
Lee Ryan arrested after 'going berserk & being abusive on plane'
HELD BY BOYS IN BLUE
Furious Germany claim they should have had penalty and say England cheated
Inside Lionesses' wild 4am celebration with champagne & cocktails
Love Island winners 2022 revealed in dramatic series finale
But rather than trying something new, 39 per cent stick to a genre they know they love and read all the time at home.
Nearly three quarters (72 per cent) think reading is a great way to escape and switch off.
However, 37 per cent find it difficult to find the right book to buy when on holiday in the UK.
Sonia Holman, from Original Cottages said: “Holidays are all about escapism and there’s nothing quite like getting lost in a good book to help you disconnect from work and unwind.
“We hope that our summer holiday reading list will help Brits to feel inspired when it comes to packing a book for their next UK trip.”
The study also found 60 per cent of adults still prefer to read a physical copy of a book when they’re away, rather than on a tablet or Kindle.
On a typical staycation, holidaymakers do most of their reading in the garden (23 per cent), on the beach (16 per cent), and in bed (16 per cent).
Beyond the clothing essentials, books (59 per cent) were the top-ranked things travellers pack for a UK staycation, beating other things such as magazines (30 per cent), board games (29 per cent) and sports equipment (26 per cent).
And 62 per cent believe reading is an integral part of the holiday experience.
Sonia Holman, from Original Cottages, added: “For the more than half of Brits (54 per cent) who would feel frustrated if they forgot to bring something to read, our local team of experts are on hand to provide tips and advice on where to find the best novels locally.”
THE ULTIMATE SUMMER HOLIDAY READING LIST:
1. Beautiful World, Where Are You by Sally Rooney
2. Harry Potter collection by JK Rowling
3. Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L James
4. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
5. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
6. The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne
7. The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman
8. The Diary of Anne Frank by Anne Frank
9. My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult
10. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
11. The Fault In Our Stars by John Green
12. Better off Dead by Lee Child and Andrew Child
13. The President’s Daughter by Bill Clinton and James Patterson
14. Twilight by Stephanie Meyer
15. A Life on Our Planet by David Attenborough
16. Murder Before Evensong by Richard Coles
17. Over my Dead Body by Jeffry Archer
18. The Murder Book by Mark Billingham
19. Normal People by Sally Rooney
20. Becoming Molly-Mae by Molly-Mae Hague
21. Diddly Squat by Jeremy Clarkson
22. Cat and Mouse by MJ Arlidge
23. It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover
24. Lion by Conn Iggulden
25. Billy Summers by Stephen King
Most read in Beach holidays
Last-minute beach hols from £58pp a night in August – Spain, Greece & Turkey
Jet2holidays launches 2023 all-inclusive breaks with FREE child places
Return to Thailand with cannabis spas, Michelin food and flights from £212
Cheap deals on beach holidays to Spain – from £31pp a night in September
Source: Read Full Article