The best landmarks in the world: Angkor Wat still No1 in TripAdvisor ratings with Alcatraz, the Tower of London and the Sydney Opera House all making the shortlist
- TripAdvisor’s annual Travellers’ Choice Awards honours top landmarks worldwide based on reviews
- Cambodia’s Angkor Wat ranked number one followed by the newer Plaza de Espana in Seville, Spain
- On a list detailing the top UK landmarks, the Tower of London scored first place followed by Tower Bridge
Cambodia’s sprawling temple complex Angkor Wat has been revealed as the world’s best-rated landmark for another year running in TripAdvisor’s annual Travellers’ Choice Awards.
The best-rated U.S. landmark is Alcatraz Island in San Francisco, with its famed prison attracting millions of visitors each year, while the Tower of London comes top of the pile in the UK and 15th globally.
Coming in second place worldwide is the Plaza de Espana in Seville, Spain, which was built for the Ibero-American Exhibition of 1929. Measuring 50,000 square metres, the Plaza is the size of five football pitches.
Cambodia’s sprawling temple complex Angkor Wat has been revealed as the world’s best-rated landmark for another year running in TripAdvisor’s annual Travellers’ Choice Awards
The Tower of London came top of the pile in the UK and 15th globally, with Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace and St Paul’s Cathedral all making the top 10
In at third place is the Sheikh Zayed Mosque in Abu Dhabi. The place of worship, which opened in 2007 and has a capacity for 40,000 worshippers, boasts 82 domes, more than 1,000 columns and dazzling 24-carat gold gilded chandeliers.
Continuing on the religious theme, St Peter’s Basilica in Vatican City, Italy, scores fourth place in the awards followed by the Mezquita Cathedral de Cordoba in Spain, the Taj Mahal in Agra, India, and the Duomo di Milano cathedral in Milan, which took almost six centuries to complete.
The best-rated U.S landmark is Alcatraz Island in San Francisco, with its famed prison attracting millions of visitors each year
Coming in second place worldwide is the Plaza de Espana in Seville, Spain, which was built for the Ibero-American Exhibition of 1929. Measuring 50,000 square metres, the Plaza is the size of five football pitches
2018 TRIPADVISOR TRAVELLERS’ CHOICE AWARDS: THE TOP 25 WORLD LANDMARKS
1. Angkor Wat, Siem Reap, Cambodia
2. Plaza de Espana, Seville, Spain
3. Sheikh Zayed Mosque, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
4. St. Peter’s Basilica, Vatican City
5. Mezquita Cathedral de Cordoba, Spain
6. Taj Mahal, Agra, India
7. Duomo di Milano, Milan
8. Alcatraz Island, San Francisco
9. Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco
10. Parliament, Budapest
11. Old Town Square, Prague, Czech Republic
12. Notre Dame Cathedral, Paris
13. Corcovado Christ the Redeemer, Rio de Janeiro
14. Eiffel Tower, Paris
15. Tower of London ,London
16. Acropolis, Athens
17. Temple of the Reclining Buddha (Wat Pho), Bangkok, Thailand
18. Mutianyu Great Wall, Beijing, China
19. Burj Khalifa, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
20. Sydney Opera House, Australia
21. Santuario Historico de Machu Picchu ,Machu Picchu, Peru
22. El Ateneo Grand Splendid, Buenos Aires, Argentina
23. Notre-Dame Basilica, Montreal, Quebec
24. Fushimi Inari-taisha Shrine, Kyoto, Japan
25. Shwedagon Pagoda, Yangon (Rangoon), Myanmar
The Sydney Opera House was voted the number one landmark in Australia
Hopping over to the U.S., Alcatraz Island in San Francisco comes in at eighth place with the Golden Gate Bridge, nearby, trailing close behind.
The majestic Hungarian Parliament Building in Budapest, which sits on the bank of the River Danube, rounds off the top 10 global list.
The British capital, meanwhile, scores six of the top 10 spots for the UK list, with the Tower of London, Tower Bridge, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace and St Paul’s Cathedral pulling in thousands of votes.
Elsewhere across the country, Edinburgh Castle is ranked fourth, the Roman Baths in Bath rolls in at seventh place, while the Cavern Club in Liverpool – where The Beatles famously played – comes in at number eight.
On a list detailing the top ten European must-see sites, the Plaza de Espana in Seville was bound to claim the winning rosette as it is second globally. It is followed by St. Peter’s Basilica.
Mezquita Cathedral de Cordoba in the historic centre of Cordoba, Spain, which was declared a Unesco World Heritage Site in 1984, rounded out the top three on the European list
The Golden Gate Bridge came ninth globally in the annual awards, which are compiled using millions of reviews
2018 TRIPADVISOR TRAVELLERS’ CHOICE AWARDS: TOP 10 LANDMARKS IN EUROPE, THE UK, U.S AND AUSTRALIA
TOP 10 EUROPE LANDMARKS
1. Plaza de Espana, Seville
2. St. Peter’s Basilica, Vatican City
3. Mezquita Cathedral de Cordoba, Spain
4. Duomo di Milano, Milan
5. Parliament, Budapest
6. Old Town Square, Prague
7. Notre Dame Cathedral, Paris
8. Eiffel Tower, Paris
9. Tower of London, London
TOP 10 UK LANDMARKS
1. Tower of London, London
2. Tower Bridge, London
3. Big Ben, London
4. Edinburgh Castle, Edinburgh
5. Royal Yacht Britannia, Edinburgh
6. Westminster Abbey, London
7. The Roman Baths, Bath
8. The Cavern Club, Liverpool
9. Buckingham Palace, London
10.St Paul’s Cathedral, London
TOP 10 U.S. LANDMARKS
1. Alcatraz Island, San Francisco
2. Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco
3. Lincoln Memorial, Washington, D.C.
4. Grand Central Terminal, New York City
5. USS Arizona Memorial – Honolulu
6. Empire State Building – New York City
7. Statue of Liberty – New York City
8. Brooklyn Bridge – New York City
9. Biltmore Estate – Asheville, North Carolina
10.Cloud Gate – Chicago
TOP 10 AUSTRALIA LANDMARKS
1. Sydney Opera House, Sydney
2. Australian War Memorial, Canberra
3. Sydney Harbour Bridge, Sydney
4. Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG), Melbourne
5. Shrine of Remembrance, Melbourne
6. Queen Victoria Building (QVB), Sydney
7. Port Arthur Historic Site, Port Arthur
8. Fremantle Prison, Fremantle
9. HMAS Sydney II Memorial, Geraldton
10.Kings Park War Memorial, Perth
Mezquita Cathedral de Cordoba in the historic centre of Cordoba, Spain, which was declared a Unesco World Heritage Site in 1984, rounds out the top three.
In Australia, the Sydney Opera House is voted the number one landmark, with the Australian War Memorial in Canberra and Sydney Harbour Bridge runners-up.
Travellers’ Choice Landmarks awards honour top landmarks worldwide based on millions of reviews from TripAdvisor travellers.
An algorithm that assesses ratings given for each tourist site over a 12-month period is used to reveal the winners.
Commenting on the results, TripAdvisor spokesperson Hayley Coleman said: ‘This year’s awards show that London’s iconic landmarks remain ever popular with global travellers and those planning a visit this summer would be wise to plan ahead, if they want to beat the queues.’
Source: Read Full Article