A British couple were left horrified after they found a huge huntsman spider in their Amazon delivery parcel.
Mark and Gemma Smith, , from Shanklin on the Isle of Wight, ordered some Christmas decorations from the online retail giant.
The box sat in their house for two days after being delivered before arachnophobe Gemma opened it.
She freaked out when she spotted the giant, 10cm wide spider on the packing paper.
Gemma, 38, screamed and flung it across the room fearing there could be more of them inside.
She then called her husband who was at work and he raced home.
The spooked couple then found the Huntsman spider – which has a nasty venom and can grow up to a foot in size – dead in their conservatory.
Gemma said: "I opened up the parcel and I said 'Holy f**k'. I literally chucked the box.
"I didn't know if there were any more in there."
Singer Gemma is terrified of spiders after a scary experience as a child.
"I was in my dad's car when I was six years old and there was a nest of spiders in the corner. It burst open and they fell on me."
Mark, 45, who lives with Gemma and their three kids in Shanklin, Isle of Wight, said: "I was so shocked to see it.
"I was at work she rang me and said 'I have just had the most scary thing happen to me'.
I'm A Celebrity castle in Wales 'overlooks beach hot spot for randy doggers'
"She has arachnophobia because of this bad experience with spiders as a kid.
"It was on top of the packing paper. She just chucked it in the conservatory."
Musician Mark added: "I said 'Do you know if it's alive?', but she did not know.
"She just said it was massive.
Dad stranded in Thai hospital after surviving fall from sixth floor balcony
"I don't know where the package came from in the world. It must have been alive when it got in there."
There are a variety of huntsman spiders – the second largest in the world – which are native to Australia and Asia.
Spider expert Samantha Nixon, based in Brisbane, Australia said it was a huntsman – renowned for their size and speed.
They are known to bite humans but are unlikely to kill them.
She said: "This is indeed a huntsman spider.
More than 100 Tarantulas stuffed into trainers found by shocked customs officers
"Huntsmans are a widely distributed family.
"Although they are large and fast, their venom is fortunately harmless to humans.
"At most it causes some mild to moderate pain."
The couple – parents to Abigail, seven, Isabel, five and seven-week-old Jenson – ordered the £32.99 Set of three Light-Up Christmas Boxes last Saturday.
It arrived on Monday but it sat in their house unopened until Wednesday.
Amazon has been approached for comment.
Source: Read Full Article