Chilling moment killer hides claw hammer after bludgeoning man to death

A sicko who bludgeoned a Polish man to death with a claw hammer as he lay in bed listening to music was caught on camera disposing of the murder weapon.

Anthony Brinton, aged 43, was seen on CCTV throwing the tool into the sea minutes after the attack, Plymouth Live report.

In the clip, he submerges himself in the chilly water late at night and takes off his boots and outer clothes, which were stained with the blood of 34-year-old Adrian Cieslik.

The twisted dad-of-two was filmed walking through the empty streets barefoot and wearing only a T-shirt at about 11.30pm in January.

The footage, which was found months later after a trawl of CCTV, was crucial in securing the conviction of Brinton at Plymouth Crown Court yesterday.

The window cleaner was jailed for life with a minimum term of 28 years after he changed his plea during his trial to admit murder.

Brinton attacked Mr Cieslik at his flat in West Hoe on January 12 because he falsely believed he was in a relationship with his ex-girlfriend who he shared a home with.

Judge Peter Johnson told Brinton: "You launched a wicked and brutal attack upon him, you struck him to the head with considerable force, leaving him mortally wounded.

  • Elderly woman's belongings stolen as she lay dying with husband at bedside

"I am satisfied that you intended to kill him. There was no loss of control. This was done in cold blood."

Brinton, of no fixed address, struck Mr Cieslik nine times to the head and face, shattering his skull and causing fatal brain damage.

The killer’s ex-girlfriend and her sister, who had been out clubbing, came back to the flat in the early hours of the next morning to find Mr Cieslik seriously injured on the floor.

Initially, both women were arrested on suspicion of the assault because there was no sign of forced entry and neighbours had heard a commotion – which was in fact the sisters fighting.

  • Dad who battered seven-week-old baby to death is jailed for just 15 years

When the damning CCTV was shown, Brinton admitted that he had visited the flat because he was concerned about his ex-partner.

It is likely that Brinton had stolen some keys, which he may also have thrown in the sea, or someone had left the door unlocked.

He claimed that Mr Cieslik let him in but suddenly attacked him with a hammer he had in the bedroom.

Brinton, who suffered no injury, said that he wrestled the weapon away and struck back in self-defence.

He claimed that he dealt two blows.

  • Man stabbed wife to death after being 'haunted by her ghost' while she was still alive

The defendant was forced to change his story again when post-mortem medical evidence confirmed the Pole had suffered nine blows to his head and face – far more than is possible in self-defence.

The CPS and Devon and Cornwall Police have released CCTV shown to the jury to Plymouth Live.

Iain White, Senior Crown Prosecutor for the CPS in the South West, said after the hearing: "Anthony Brinton pleaded guilty to manslaughter, claiming that he had killed Adrian Cieslik after a loss of control.

"This defence was rejected by the judge, following which Brinton finally pleaded to guilty to murder.

"The police officers in the case were commended by the judge for their excellent work throughout the course of the investigation, in particular the way in which they tracked down vital CCTV evidence, and I would like to add my thanks to them.

"The sentence of life with a minimum tariff of 28 years reflects the truly brutal nature of this crime."

Source: Read Full Article