Driver who took a 'cocktail of drugs' before killing family is jailed

Motorist, 39, who took a ‘cocktail of drugs’ before driving on the wrong side of the road and killing a family-of-three in a head-on collision is jailed

  • Aurelijus Cielevicius given 10-and-a-half-year sentence following Norfolk crash
  • Court hears his BMW smashed into the Vauxhall Mokka earlier this year
  • Family member reads out heartbreaking victim statement to motorist in court

A man who took a ‘cocktail of drugs’ and killed three people in a fatal traffic collision has been jailed for more than a decade.

Aurelijus Cielevicius, 39, was handed a 10-and-a-half-year sentence for causing death by dangerous driving after smashing his BMW head on into the Vauxhall earlier this year.

Norwich Crown Court heard Cielevicius was driving eastbound along the A47 in the North Runcton, Norfolk, at around 7.40pm on January 15 when he was involved in the fatal collision.

He was sentenced on Tuesday after previously admitting three counts of death by dangerous driving.

Cielevicius smashed into a Vauxhall Mokka being driven by Paul Carter, 41, with his wife Lisa Carter, 49 and her daughter, 25-year-old Jade Mace, who were travelling in the opposite direction.

Aurelijus Cielevicius, 39, was handed a 10-and-a-half-year sentence in court on Tuesday

The BMW was seen by witnesses travelling at speed and going through red traffic lights before the crash.

Forensic collision investigators were able to determine that the speedometer was stuck at 96mph.

Cielevicius, from King’s Lynn, Norfolk, had been overtaking another vehicle but failed to return to the correct side of the road and collided with the Vauxhall Mokka.

All three occupants were pronounced dead at the scene.

Prior to the collision, the BMW passed a stationary marked police vehicle at speed on Hardwick Road, Kings Lynn, just minutes earlier.

The officer then put blue lights on the vehicle and left the layby where it was carrying out the checks to search for the BMW, but it had moved out of sight.

The same officer was then deployed to the collision, arriving at 7.47pm on scene to find Cielevicius initially assessed as critically injured and sedated due to being agitated and uncooperative.

Later, it was confirmed at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King’s Lynn that he had only suffered minor injuries of two broken ribs.

Cielevicius was arrested at 1.29am the next day for causing death by dangerous driving.

Toxicology results, taken following the collision, read out at the plea hearing, found methylamphetamine, mephedrone and cannabis in his system as well as other drugs.

The BMW travelled at speed and passed through red traffic lights before the crash on the A47

Summer Mace, whose mother, sister and step-father Paul died in the collision, read a statement out in court, saying she had messaged them all in family group chat to make sure they were OK, not realising they had been already been involved in the fatal accident.

She told the court: ‘For me there is no future – mum, Paul and Jade were my whole world – they were the glue that held us all together.

‘On the 15th January you did not just kill three of my family members, you killed and destroyed our entire family members, you killed and destroyed four entire family units.

‘You have killed our future lives, thoughts and hopes – as we have none without them.

‘Mum, Paul and Jade were unique, bright, caring and funny and outgoing people. Without their presence in our lives, the world is a duller place for everyone.’

Detective Inspector Dave McCormack, from the Serious Collision Investigation Unit, said: ‘This is a horrendous case of a dangerous man who was driving while on a cocktail of drugs.

‘His actions have ripped apart a young family leaving destruction in his wake.

‘My condolences go out to the family who are also victims to this atrocious incident, and I thank them for having the courage to stand up and tell the offender how it has affected them.

‘In addition to this, the incident was attended to by police, fire and ambulance and left emergency service personnel extremely upset and requiring extra support.’

Source: Read Full Article