Sir Elton was a close friend of Harry’s mum, Princess Diana, and was asked personally by the Prince to perform at the star-studded celebration, at St George's Hall.
The performance took guests by surprise, with Prince Harry asking: "Does anyone here know how to play the piano?"
At this point, Elton John sprung to his feet to serenade the Royal couple's guests with four of his famous tunes: 'Your Song', 'Tiny Dancer', 'Circle of Life' and 'I'm Still Standing'.
The 71-year-old is a close friend of the Royals and even attended the 2011 wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge at Westminster Abbey.
How the Royal Wedding has unfolded so far…
- Royal fans are descending on Windsor to catch a glimpse of the loved-up couple as they tie the knot today
- Meghan Markle spent her last night as an unmarried woman with her mum Doria Ragland at Cliveden Hall
- Prince Harry stayed at Coworth Park with his big brother and best man, Prince William
- The brothers had last night walked out around Windsor to greet fans ahead of the big day
- The bride will walk down the aisle partly by herself before being joined by Prince Charles, who will give her away
- Meghan's dad Thomas Markle will not be at the big day, still recovering from a heart operation
- Prince Harry and Meghan will be the Duke and Duchess of Sussex
A spokesman for Kensington Palace said: ”Sir Elton John has performed at the Lunchtime Reception for guests celebrating the Wedding of Prince Harry and Ms. Meghan Markle.
“Prince Harry asked Sir Elton to perform at the Reception which was hosted by Her Majesty The Queen at St George's Hall, Windsor Castle.
“Sir Elton performed for the newly married couple in recognition of the close connection he has with Prince Harry and his family.”
Harry's brother William continued his best man duties with a brief two-minute speech, followed by words from Prince Charles and the groom himself.
Harry used the final words of his speech to help set up Elton John's surprise performance.
Meghan did not make a speech at the afternoon reception, despite reports that she would.
The Sun exclusively revealed in February that Elton John had quietly cancelled two of his Vegas shows – freeing him up for the weekend of the Royal Wedding.
He was due to play concerts at The Colosseum at Caesars Palace on Friday May 18 and Saturday May 19.
Speaking to executive editor Dan Wootton in January, the Rocket Man singer was coy and said "no one has been asked" to the wedding, yet.
But he added: “It will be nice because I love him very dearly."
The star famously sang Candle in the Wind at Princess Diana’s funeral in 1997.
Speaking about the Prince and his brother William, he said: “We’re working very, very closely on AIDS projects with him. And both of those boys are very special to me because of their mother. He’s a good boy.
“His heart is in the right place and all you want is for people to be happy.”
Elton also revealed Harry told him he was “in love” with Meghan when they spent time together at Google Camp in Italy last summer.
Try our Royal Wedding Snapchat lens
Want to celebrate Harry and Meghan's wedding like a royal?
We've made a brand new Snapchat lens just for the big day!
Unlock The Sun's Royal Wedding lens on Snapchat here and send us your snaps to @TheSunUK
Source: Read Full Article