Ex-Downing Street aide may show 'illegal gathering in No10' texts

Ex-Downing Street aide is willing to hand over text messages from Carrie Johnson about ‘illegal gathering in No10’ to cross-party MP committee

  • Ex-aide may reveal texts from Carrie Johnson about an alleged illegal gathering
  • They may show the messages to the cross-party MPs on Privileges Committee
  • It is claimed that neither the Met Police or Sue Gray looked into the gathering

A former Downing Street aide has said that they are willing to reveal texts from Carrie Johnson about an alleged illegal gathering in the Number 10 apartment to the Privileges Committee.

It is understood that Scotland Yard was sent the messages, but did not investigate the incident.

And civil servant Sue Gray was also informed of the alleged event, but did not enquire further, with the messages not submitted as evidence.

The aide said that they are willing to share the messages with a cross-party committee of MPs investigating whether the prime minister knowingly misled parliament when he said that no parties had been held in Downing Street.

A former Downing Street aide has said that they are willing to reveal texts from Carrie Johnson (pictured with her husband and prime minister Boris Johnson) about an alleged illegal gathering in the Number 10 apartment to the Privileges Committee

They are said to be worried about ‘further erosion of public trust’, as the texts have not been investigated by the Met Police or looked into by Ms Gray, The Times reports. 

The text from Mrs Johnson said that ‘the gay boys’ were in the flat in Number 11 on the evening of June 19, 2020, before the prime minister went up for the evening, the paper reports.

It is unclear who she is referring to in the message.

The texts were sent a few hours after Boris Johnson was at a gathering in the Cabinet room to celebrate his birthday. 

He was fined for this, as indoor gatherings with two or more people were banned at the time — with an exception for work.

The Times reports that the former aide has told cabinet secretary Simon Case about the messages, who has not yet responded. 

A friend to the former aide told the paper: ‘Their concern is that this hasn’t been looked at by anyone.

‘The texts appear to directly tie the prime minister’s wife and the prime minister to a potential illegal gathering.’

The texts were sent a few hours after Boris Johnson was at a gathering in the Cabinet room to celebrate his birthday (pictured), for which he was fined

In January, the Number 10 spokesperson said illegal gathering allegations were ‘totally untrue’, but yesterday refused to deny the event happened, the paper reported.

A spokesperson for Mrs Johnson said that Ms Gray was aware of the exchanges as part of her inquiry.

‘Staff were given ample opportunity to present evidence, including these messages, and all relevant information was passed to the Metropolitan Police for investigation’ they added. 

The cabinet office said that Ms Gray disputes claims she has the chance to view the messages in January.

They said the aide was told they needed to submit copies of the texts as evidence for the inquiry, but refused.

They added that Ms Gray’s investigation had ended when a second offer had been made in May.

Source: Read Full Article