Ex-worker claims Egypt hotel where British couple died has been a death trap for five years

Brit Sean McLoughlin, 35, said he had two bouts of diarrhoea in his first nine days at Hurghada’s Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel.

He said: “I worked there in 2013 and it was a death trap then. I’m surprised it’s taken this long for someone to die. Food was diabolical and boilers were fixed by people who didn’t know what they were doing.

“In the kitchen I saw food washed with local water. I told them it was wrong but no one cared.”
Sean had an entertainment team job on a £200-a-week six-month contract. But a motorbike crash saw him quit Egypt after two months.

The Bristol dad of two said: “I needed a fitness-to-fly letter to get home. I was too sick but paid £25 and got one. The whole country’s corrupt.”



John Cooper, 69, and wife Susan, 64, of Burnley, died within hours of each other after falling ill on a Thomas Cook break.

Daughter Kelly Ormerod, 40, told how medics tried to save them.

She said: “Dad took priority. They did CPR but nothing could help.

“I thought Mum would survive.

“Whether they inhaled something that poisoned them, I don’t know.” Officials say John died of a heart attack and Susan of “grief”.



Kelly is now awaiting results of Thomas Cook tests on food, hygiene and air conditioning.

The UK firm evacuated 300 guests from the hotel 24 hours after the deaths amid an “increased number” of illnesses.

It said yesterday: “This hotel got 96 per cent in an independent audit in July, including health, safety and hygiene. In 2018 we’ve had five sickness claims there.”

  • GOT a news story? RING us on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL exclusive@the-sun.co.uk

Source: Read Full Article