Fears hand, foot and mouth disease has spread throughout Majorca as 48 cases confirmed at ONE hotel and Brit baby covered in blisters on flight home

Davina Marchant, 29, was visiting her parents on the island and had no idea about the epidemic which has affected at least 48 people.

Shocking pictures from guests show kids head to toe in red blisters and rashes after the disease started to spread at the Club Mac hotel in Alcudia.

But Davina, from South Cave, East Yorks, didn’t stay at the hotel and claims her daughter Emilia was struck down with the disease on their way home.

She told The Sun Online the plane was "full of kids", many of whom could have been carrying the infection.

Davina, a full-time mum-of-two, was staying at her parents' home and said she would not have flown if she'd known the risk because of her daughter's medical history.


Emilia had just recovered from an operation after being born with kidney issues.

Davina said: "There were loads of children on the plane and just four days after landing in the UK Emilia woke up from a nap with a high temperature.

"The following morning she was covered in blisters and a huge rash – it is all over her torso. I’m convinced she contracted it on the plane and it’s scary because it looks like the disease is spreading."

Davina is now calling on airlines to do more to warn its passengers about certain situations and she said she never would have flown if she had been aware of the outbreak.


She said: "Airlines need to be doing more. There were no signs up explaining what had happened at the hotel.

"Just like schools and nurseries I think airlines should have a duty of care to notify passengers when someone has travelled on their planes and contracted an illness not long afterwards, or if there is an outbreak at a destination.

"If I hadn’t searched hand, foot and mouth and seen all the articles on Majorca I still would be wondering how on earth she had got it."

Dr Sarah Jarvis, GP and clinical director of patient.info, said it was "absolutely" possible the disease had spread to other locations on the island.

She said: "Unfortunately kids can stay infectious for several weeks so if they've been to the beach they can spread it to other kids.

"I get it at the clinic in the UK all the time, if you think about how it spreads, it's almost inevitable."

However, Dr Jarvis added that it shouldn't been confused with the foot and mouth disease which affects animals, adding only very rarely can it develop into inflammation of the brain.

It comes as another Brit mum became the latest parent whose child contracted hand, foot and mouth disease while staying at the three-star Club Mac hotel.


Charlie Fordham, 26, noticed there was something wrong with her 17-month-old daughter so paid 60 euros to see the on-site doctor.

But he failed to diagnose the infection and instead prescribed her antibiotics – which made the rash even worse.

Charlie contacted The Sun Online after reading about fellow Brit holidaymaker Gareth Garmson, 34, spoke of his horror when his son Curtis was also covered in blisters.

The young mum, from Romford, Essex, recognised Gareth after speaking to him in the hotel about their ill children.

She told The Sun Online: "It was terrifying. My daughter was covered in rashes and huge blisters.


"The blisters were everywhere. All over her leg, arm and bum – I showed people pictures and they’ve said it’s the worst example of hand, foot and mouth they’ve seen."

Charlie booked the holiday through TUI and was with her partner Darrell Proctor, 26, her dad, two sisters and one of their partners.

It cost the family £4,000 for the week break at the three-star hotel but Charlie said it was "completely ruined" and quickly "turned into a nightmare" for the family.

She said: "I didn’t get any help from the hotel. There were 14 other babies there who all had the disease.

"We arrived on Sunday and by Tuesday night Darlie had a snotty nose and her eyes were really swollen.

"She looked really unwell and by the Wednesday she was a lot worse and her temperature had rocketed up to 38.3C.

"We rushed her to the doctor at the hotel – which cost us 60 euros – and he said she has tonsillitis and prescribed her antibiotics which cost us another 30 euros.

"We weren’t allowed to do anything, we weren’t allowed to go outside or go in the pool, we had to just stay in our room.

"It was awful, I was so worried about my daughter and the holiday turned into a complete nightmare.

"On Friday we thought she had suffered a reaction to the antibiotics and saw another doctor.

"He said she hasn’t got tonsillitis, she’s got hand, foot and mouth disease. The doctor told us to stop giving her antibiotics because it makes the rash worse.

"The first doctor didn’t diagnose it properly and that’s why it has ended up getting so bad.

"Doctors said it’s the worst case they’ve ever seen and I’ve had to phone in sick to work all week – I’m not allowed to see anyone even back in the UK."

Charlie, who works in telesales, said she is angry at the hotel and claims they didn’t handle the situation very well.

She said: "We told the hotel and it was very ‘hush hush’. All they said was ‘don’t take her swimming and stay in your room’.

"As a parent it’s the worst nightmare for your child to be poorly in a different country. People were staring at my child when we went out for dinner.

"I was sat in the restaurant crying because people were giving her dirty looks.

"Charlie also accused the hotel of not cleaning the communal high chairs and baby changing units which had "not been sterilised".

She added: "There were 14 other babies who contracted the same disease so there is obviously a serious problem at the hotel.

"It’s such a shame because the hotel was so lovely but it was very frustrating because they were just telling us to keep quiet."

In a statement, Club Mac said they didn't know where the outbreak originated, but feared it may have spread via airports.

"We are aware of a small number of cases of hand-foot-and-mouth at the Club Mac Hotel in Alcudia and we’re working with our resort teams and customers to do everything possible to reduce the spread of this highly contagious viral infection.

"48 people have been confirmed with the infection since 11 September. In September we have had over 12,000 guests staying at Club Mac, with 0.4% of them having the hand foot and mouth virus.

What is hand-foot-and-mouth disease and who is vulnerable?

Hand-foot-and-mouth disease, or HFMD as it is better known, is caused by a virus.

Symptoms include ulcers, or sores, inside or around the mouth, and a rash or blisters on the hands, feet, legs, or buttocks.

Anyone can get the disease, but children under age 10 are most likely to catch it.

These viruses can spread from person-to-person through direct contact with unwashed hands or surfaces contaminated with bacteria

"There are a number of actions that we as a resort are taking to help prevent the spread of the disease and that our customers can do as well. We have activated POSI (Prevention of the Spread of infection) procedures and cleaning and disinfection is being carried out throughout the complex, by all departments."

Yesterday Brit dad Gareth Garmson, 34, spoke of his horror at discovering his son Curtis covered with blisters and a rash after catching the bug just a few days into their dream holiday at Club Mac.

And Danielle Macintyre, 25, revealed to The Scottish Sun that both her tots had fallen ill with the disease at the same hotel.

Glasgow mum Zarona Smith, 23, was forced to take her 17-month-old son Carlos to the on-site doctor after he broke out in rashes and blisters.

She too said she didn’t find out the real reason her son was sick until they returned home, after he was misdiagnosed by the hotel doctor.

And Jodie McMaster, 28, blasted the conditions at the resort – in particular the hygiene in its restaurants – after 18-month-old daughter Spencer was struck down towards the end of her first holiday.

A TUI spokesperson said: "As a precautionary measure as soon as we were made aware of the small number of cases of this common illness, we implemented additional health and safety procedures including superior cleaning measures on top of already stringent protocols to assist with preventing any further spread of illness."







 

Source: Read Full Article