Fresh fears on street where girl, 4, died in blast as locals evacuated AGAIN over 'ticking timebomb gas leak' | The Sun

THE street where a four-year-old girl died in a gas explosion has been evacuated AGAIN over fresh fears of a "ticking timebomb gas leak".

More than 100 people were evacuated from the area on Galpin's Road, Thornton Heath, on Monday.



Now dozens more have been told to flee their homes, where people have been "smelling gas for a week".

A Merton Council spokesperson said: "Following further inspection by Health & Safety Executive on site this morning, the cordon is being extended to 200m & we are in the process of evacuating further homes on Galpin's Road.

"Southern Gas Networks continue to work on site, and residents must stay away from the cordon area until it is safe to return.

"Council officers are working as hard as possible to help the 100-plus residents who have been evacuated, and will continue to do so today, as more homes are evacuated.

Read More on The Sun

Gogglebox’s Amy Tapper looks slimmer than ever as she celebrates pal’s wedding

Three Ring Doorbell hacks you MUST know – or it could cost you

"New Horizon Centre continues to act as our evacuation centre and is offering support including onward accommodation, financial help, food and emotional support."

One person at the scene Tweeted: "Just been evacuated from my job on Galpins road. Gas still leaking and it’s getting worse.

"It’s spreading and they’re evacuating more houses. Police, gas & fire fighters running up and down the street getting people out."

Four others were injured in the devastation after the terraced house in South London was razed to the ground as a blast sent debris flying hundreds of feet into the air.

Today it was revealed that the family of deceased toddler had called the gas company about a suspected leak but were "given an appointment."

Most read in News

TAKEN TOO SOON

'Sweet' girl, 11, killed swimming at water park, as classmates pay tribute

HOUSE HELL

'Happy' girl, 4, dead in blast as four injured after house explosion

DEATH RIDDLE

'Unanswered questions' over death of baby found 'cold & unresponsive' in crib

PARK TRAGEDY

Woman falls 26ft to her death from rollercoaster after ‘slipping from seat’

Close family friend Thoheed Maricar, 52, said: “Neighbours had reported the smell of gas for about a week.

“The family tried to get hold of the gas company but the gas company didn’t come straight away. They were given an appointment.

“I’ve not heard anything like this before. The mother couldn’t talk, to me, they are in that much pain. The whole family is in so much pain."

It comes after locals told The Sun that gas works had been taking place for "four weeks".

Read More on The Sun

Gogglebox’s Amy Tapper looks slimmer than ever as she celebrates pal’s wedding

Three Ring Doorbell hacks you MUST know – or it could cost you

Some residents at the cordon said they had reported a strong gas smell two weeks ago, and others said they had been feeling dizzy and sick over the last two days.

Others said engineers had been working on the street and digging holes in people's homes in recent days to resolve the issue.

THIS IS A DEVELOPING STORY…

The Sun is your go to destination for the best celebrity news, football news, real-life stories, jaw-dropping pictures and must-see video.

Download our fantastic, new and improved free App for the best ever Sun Online experience. For iPhone click here, for Android click here. 

Like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/TheSun and follow us from our main Twitter account at @TheSun.

    Source: Read Full Article