Furious army veteran ‘eaten alive’ by 100 bed bug bites in Premier Inn says £69 room is more ‘squalid’ than Bosnia warzone
- Scott Simpson, 43, was horrified to find his skin peppered with bright red spots
- Pharmacy confirmed the rash was where the tiny insects gnawed through flesh
- The ex-soldier from Rainham, Kent, said the bite marks were all over his body
- Premier Inn admitted ‘traces of infestation’ and gave Mr Simpson a £75 voucher
An army veteran ‘eaten alive by 100 bed bug bites’ has ripped into Premier Inn for giving him a room ‘more squalid than warzones’.
Scott Simpson, 43, was horrified to find his skin peppered with sore bright red spots following his stay at the hotel chain’s Herne Bay branch in Kent.
And he grew even more appalled to discover the rash was actually the puncture site where tiny insects had gnawed through his flesh.
Seething with rage that his £69 room was bug-ridden, the father-of-two complained to Premier Inn – but claims he failed to hear back for over two weeks when the company admitted they had found ‘traces of infestation’.
Mr Simpson, a mechanical engineer from Rainham, Kent, said: ‘I’ve served three tours of war-torn Bosnia from 1994 to 1998 and I’ve never had to sleep in such squalid conditions.
‘Bosnia and Sarajevo in ’94 and ’95 was absolutely disgusting but I wasn’t eaten alive in my own bed.
‘The bites were painful and still are. They were 100 of them all over my body all the way from my toes to my face.’
Soldier-turned-mechanical engineer Scott Simpson, 43, was horrified to find his skin peppered with sore bright red spots following his stay at the Kent Premier Inn
He grew even more appalled to discover the rash was actually the puncture site where tiny insects had gnawed through his flesh
Mr Simpson checked out of the ‘clean-looking’ room at 6am on November 28 after staying for a work-related trip, but claims his back soon felt irritated and itchy – before discovering inflamed red welts across his back
Mr Simpson checked out of the ‘clean-looking’ room at 6am on November 28 after staying for a work-related trip, but claims his back soon felt irritated and itchy – before discovering inflamed red welts across his back.
So he rushed to the pharmacy where it was confirmed he had bed bug bites and was given anti-allergy medication.
When he got home, he stripped off, threw his clothes in a hot wash before scrubbing himself in the shower.
He said: ‘I ended up taking my jacket and jumper off because my back was so itchy.
Red swellings dotted across the ex-soldier’s back after his stay
‘One of the other lads took a picture of my back and said I’d been bitten all over.
‘It wasn’t until then I realised it wasn’t just one bite – then I started getting itchy on my legs, knees, torso – all the way from my toes to my hands and my face.
‘I had one on my cheek and one on the back of my neck – the rest were on my back downwards – I assumed straight away it was bedbugs and that they were 100 per cent from Premier Inn.’
Concerned he might take any creepy crawly stowaways home with him, Mr Simpson put all of his clothes into a hot wash and quarantined his suitcase to his freezing garage.
The ex-soldier said: ‘The itching was quite ferocious. One night I woke up with really itchy knees, whereas the next night my elbows were really itchy.
‘The group of 13 bites on my ankle were the worst, they did swell up and I’m still scarred from them.
‘When I put my hands on the bites they were really hot, it was like my body was fighting off some sort of infection.
‘I put some cream for bites and stings I found in my medicine cupboard to try and calm them down and drank two bottles of Piriton over two weeks.
‘I put everything on a 60 degree wash and just left my suitcase in the garage – it’s freezing out there so it’ll kill anything on it.’
Premier Inn later admitted there had been ‘traces of infestations’, and offered Mr Simpson £75 worth of leisure vouchers.
The army veteran said the room was worse than the accommodation he received in war zones such as Bosnia (pictured during his time in the military)
Mr Simpson said: ‘Bosnia and Sarajevo in ’94 and ’95 was absolutely disgusting but I wasn’t eaten alive in my own bed’ (pictured during his time in the military)
A message from the company said: ‘Unfortunately, we can confirm that on this occasion, there were traces of infestation in your room.
‘As such, the room has been taken off sale and the relevant action will be taken to ensure this is dealt with efficiently and so that other guests are not affected by this.’
But Mr Simpson was less than pleased with their slow reply and said: ‘I’m disgusted with Premier Inn, I [didn’t get] a response for two-and-a-half-weeks.
‘I just hope it doesn’t happen to anyone else, this was my main reason for bringing it to their attention – to get it sorted.
‘I would prefer anything rather than be ignored, I think it’s just wrong. The company I work for use Premier Inn all over the country so many times over many years.
‘We’re probably a drop in the ocean to their turnover, but it’s just wrong they [took so long to] come back to me or my company.
At first Mr Simpson thought he’d just been bitten on his back, but he soon felt itchy all over his legs, knees, torso – all the way from my toes to my hands and my face
After hygienists examined the hotel chain’s Herne Bay branch in Kent, Premier Inn said ‘traces of infestations’ had been found
‘I’m not after half a million pounds and a bottle of champagne, I’m just after an apology and an assurance it won’t happen again. I don’t want this happening to anybody else.’
A Premier Inn spokesman said: ‘Unfortunately on rare occasions things can go wrong and in this instance, Mr Simpson’s experience fell short of the high standards our guests can rightly expect.
‘We have refunded the cost of the room and offered leisure vouchers by means of apology.
‘The room was immediately taken off sale upon receiving the complaint and the issue is now fully resolved.’
Source: Read Full Article