Five-year-old girl is rescued from collapsed building in Turkey after surviving 18 hours in the rubble as death toll increases to three
- Eight-storey apartment block collapsed in Istanbul, Turkey on Wednesday
- Five-year-old girl alive from rubble after 18 hours trapped inside
- Three people have been found dead in the debris, but this may increase
- CCTV shows terrified pedestrians running for their lives as building comes down
A five-year-old girl has been pulled alive from the rubble of an eight-storey building that collapsed in Istanbul on Wednesday, killing at least three people.
Havva Tekgoz was found 18 hours after the collapse, and she was immediately rushed to hospital, Turkish emergency services said
Her miracle rescue came several hours after a nine-year-old boy was also safely removed from the debris.
Rescued: Havva Tekgoz, five, was found 18 hours after the collapse of an eight-storey apartment block in Istanbul, Turkey
Miracle: The little girl became the 13th person rescued from the rubble since the building collapsed on Wednesday afternoon
At least three people have been found dead after the building, home to 43 people, suddenly collapsed on Wednesday afternoon
Authorities said they are investigating the collapse, and that the top three floors had been illegally built.
Murat Kurum, Turkeys minister for environment and urbanization, said today that emergency teams are still ‘receiving sounds’ suggesting signs of life from the under the rubble.
Horrifying moment an eight-storey apartment block collapses…
Swedish woman who sabotaged deportation of migrant by…
Cornered in Syria, IS lays groundwork for a new insurgency
Share this article
Mr Kurum, said they are still working to reach possible more survivors, but would not say how many more people are believed to be trapped inside the wreckage.
The building had 14 apartments with 43 people registered as residents.
A woman reacts as rescue workers carry five-year-old Havva Tekgoz, to a waiting ambulance on Thursday
An injured man covered in dust is carried out on a stretcher after he was pulled from the rubble
Search and rescue team evacuate an injured person at the site after an eight-story building on Istanbuls Asian side collapsed
However, Mr Kurum told reporters that some apartments had guests at the time of the collapse, without providing details.
At least three people have been found dead in the rubble, and 13 people – including the two children – have been rescued.
Istanbul governor Ali Yerlikaya said three of the people rescued are in a serious condition.
He added: ‘All our prayers, all our hearts are with them.
‘We are continuing with our search and rescue efforts so that we can deliver good news (about survivors).’
Saved from the rubble: Rescuers carry an injured woman on a stretcher from the site of a collapsed building in the Kartal district of Istanbul
Disaster: Another woman is carried away on a stretcher after the Istanbul building collapse
Huge operation: Dozens of rescue workers at the scene after the building collapsed in Istanbul on Wednesday
It is not clear how many people remain unaccounted for following the collapse of the building on the Asian side of Istanbul, in the mostly residential Kartal district.
The collapse took place about 4pm on the Asian side of Istanbul in the mostly residential Kartal district.
Security camera footage on HaberTurk television showed several people, including schoolchildren with backpacks, running away from the site as the building tumbled down and a cloud of dust engulfed the area.
‘We rushed out as soon as we heard a loud noise. When we got out, we saw that the building had collapsed,’ resident Kenan Ayyildiz told the news channel.
Source: Read Full Article