A GROOM has tested positive for coronavirus, sparking the mass quarantine of his wedding guests
Around 200 people attended the ceremony on Saturday at a restaurant in the city of Murcia in south-east Spain.
⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates
Health officials have already told 170 people to self-isolate and are trying to reach out to the rest of the guests. At least 20 waiters have also been told to self-isolate.
The groom's positive Covid-19 result emerged following tests on staff and youngsters at a youth centre in the nearby town of Alguazas.
Local authorities are trying to control an outbreak which has so far affected 25 people.
Council workers are using bleach to disinfect the Magna Garden restaurant.
The guests are in quarantine as it's not clear if they will catch the virus until the end of the 14-day incubation period, Murcia's regional health minister Manuel Villegas confirmed.
In a statement, the venue said: “We can confirm one of the people at an event held here on August 15 has tested positive for Covid-19.
“We were informed yesterday and immediately alerted regional health authorities.
“As a precaution our premises will remain closed for the next 15 days. We will be following all the instructions of the regional health authority.”
A spokesman added: “We would like to make it clear that in all the weddings held since our re-opening following the state of emergency, we have always fulfilled all established security regulations, with security staff to make sure those rules were respected.”
Guests were asked to return to their tables after dancing to ensure compliance with social distancing guidelines.
“We are going through difficult times and at Magna Gardens we are clear on how we should act and that’s why we protect our staff and guests with all the appropriate measures.”
Event manager Maria Angeles Herrero told local press that she had asked the waiters to self-isolate until the situation was clearer.
She insisted that regional health chiefs had said there was no risk of infection because they had worn face masks and didn't spend any longer than 15 minutes at one time with the bride and groom.
More than 200 guests are being traced and tested after a coronavirus outbreak at a wedding ceremony in Madrid.
At least nine people have so far tested positive but health officials fear that number will rise.
The ceremony was held in the district of San Sebastian de Reyes and was attended by 207 people from various parts of Spain.
The council confirmed the outbreak but hasn't said if all 200-plus guests and workers have had to go into quarantine.
The scare began just 24 hours after the wedding when one of the people who attended became ill and tested positive for the virus.
Health authorities do not know how the first person caught the virus but they are concerned the outbreak will spread.
Source: Read Full Article