A horse was impaled on a post after it became startled by the noise of fireworks.
Harry the horse was found horrifically skewered on a post by the RSPCA outside Holywell in Wales on Saturday.
The RSPCA believe the horse bolted when it became spooked by the sound of the fireworks.
It then charged into the boundary fence of its enclosure before trying to jump over a five foot fence, becoming impaled on a wooden post.
Mum calls for Bonfire Night fireworks ban after yobs lob rocket at son
Dog owner shares genius way to stop pets fearing fireworks on Bonfire Night
Miraculously, thanks to the help of vets and the stable staff, Harry survived the ordeal.
RSPCA inspector, Jenny Anderton, said: "After some time and great difficulty, the owner and the vet eventually managed to rescue the horse.
"The horse must have been laying there all night and it took us until 1pm to get him out, get him up and get him on a wagon for the vets to attempt surgery on his very serious wounds, caused by impaling himself on the hedge and fencing.
"We of course don't know for definite, but it seems pretty likely that Harry was frightened by nearby fireworks that were set off."
Now the RSPCA is calling for action to tackle the unnecessary stress caused to animals around Guy Fawkes Night.
Miss Anderton added: "It is just so sad to think how frightened he must have been and then in so much distress while he was impaled.
"This incident really does show what the effects of fireworks can be and we urge people to be mindful of the animals around them when setting fireworks off."
Harry is not the first animal to be affected by fireworks this year.
Archie the bunny was filmed by his owner shaking as fireworks went off outside, before it died of shock.
And Susan Patterson said her 18-month black terrier Molly suffered a heart attack and died on Saturday.
Source: Read Full Article