A mum, who was left covered in more than 100 painful blisters when her hot-water bottle split, is warning others never to fill them up with boiling water.
Sophie Mason, 29, from Waddington near Lincoln, was left in excruciating pain when boiling water straight from the kettle spilled onto her stomach and legs on September 30.
She had just asked her husband to fill it up, for her after spending time out in the rain, has she had many times befor.
She told Lincolnshire Live: "We were prepping for a Halloween video and it had been raining outside since so we were cold.
"I got my husband to fill the hot water bottle for me with water from the kettle.
- Bachelor star suffers gruesome 'face-splitting' injury in freak golfing accident
"I always tuck it down the front of my leggings to keep it secure. When I did it split down the seam."
The pain was so severe Sophie says she instantly felt sick. She later found out her veins had collapsed due to the trauma of the burns.
She said: "I was trying to take my clothes off but my hand was burning. My husband ripped them off and started chucking cold tea towels at me to cool me down.
"Mark phoned an ambulance and I went into shock as my veins had collapsed."
Sophie was rushed to the hospital for treatment and doctors decided she needed two skin grafts to repair the damage.
"I couldn't feel anything in my stomach or legs," she added. "The whole time I was complaining about the pain in my hand rather than my stomach and my leg.
"The reason for this was the burn on my hand was superficial so the nerves were exposed. They were trying to get my wedding ring off my hand because it had swollen up.
- Shocking pictures show plane dangling upside down after crashing into ski lift
"The nurses were trying to get control of all the blisters that were coming up – there must have been 100 blisters on my stomach and legs. They were popping them open and covering me up to protect me."
On Friday, October 4, Sophie underwent a three-hour operation to cover her burns by covering them with skin from the back of her right thigh.
"They didn't initially know how deep the burns were because they take about tow or three says to show how bad they are," she said.
"When I went for a check up they weren't sure whether I needed a skin graft, but I went back on Friday and they said I needed two.
"After the operation, I had to stay in hospital as my graft was bleeding and I had to go back last night as well.
- Teen with 'warzone' injuries catches own jaw after it was torn off by lamppost
"I'm in a lot of pain and my mobility is very limited. It's had a very big impact and it's going to for a while. It's not going to get better for months."
Sophie says her friends couldn't believe it had happened to her. She is now urging everyone who uses hot water bottles to follow manufacturers' instructions and not use boiling water from the kettle.
Today's Top Stories
"Listen to your husband when he says don't do it," she said "He's been telling me for years and I've been saying you're paranoid. I know so many people who've said they do this."
She added: "They always advise not to put boiling water inside in case this happens. I'm just grateful it happened to me and not a child."
Source: Read Full Article