'Innocent' boy, 13, blasted in head with shotgun while walking with his parents on London high street was not the target, cops reveal

The boy was an “innocent bystander” hit by stray pellets when a gunman targeted a 15-year-old on a busy high street – one of three shootings in a weekend of bloodshed in the capital.

The youngster by was treated by passersby outside a Specsavers in Wealdstone, North-West London.

Scotland Yard said: “He was taken to a west London hospital with non-life threatening injuries and has since been discharged from hospital.”

Another teenager, a 15-year-old boy, was also injured in the head.

Follow a spate of violence across the Bank Holiday, Scotland Yard sent out extra patrols across the capital – including armed police.

Extra stop and search operations are also in place after a teenager was shot dead and three were doused in acid.

The Sunday mayhem began at around 4am in Liverpool where a 20-year-old was found with horrific stab wounds.

He was raced to hospital but died shortly after.


In Harrow local man Wayne Bent told how he helped to fan the 13-year-old – believed to be Somalian – until paramedics arrived in the sweltering weather.

He said: "A First Aider came off a bus; there was a lot of commotion and lots of blood on his head.

"He was wearing a white t-shirt which he was using to mop up the blood on the back of his neck.

"His head was really grazed and the main area was the back of his head which was bleeding constantly.

"He was in shock and there was so much commotion, he kept his head down and was silent.

"He had been shot and then walked round the corner and sat outside Specsavers. He did not say his name or what had happened."

The boy had attended a wedding with his family just before the incident, another witness claimed.

Detective Chief Superintendent Simon Rose, Harrow Borough Commander said: "It would appear that the first victim was approached by two male suspects, one in possession of a shotgun – and shots were fired injuring him and an entirely innocent member of the public.

"This was a callous, reckless and brazen act, without any thought by those responsible for the fact that there were families with children and people in the high street enjoying their weekend. This was quite simply, appalling.

"As a parent myself, I know hearing an incident like this where a child has been shot whilst they have been with there parents will cause alarm. It is senseless and shows an utter disregard for the safety of others."

A 39-year-old man was arrested last night and was later released under investigation.

DCS Rose added: "I want to assure the communities of Harrow and the wider public we are doing everything we can to catch the suspects responsible. Violent crime has no place on our streets. Officers from Trident are investigating and we are supporting them locally.

"I would urge anyone who can assist us with the investigation or any witnesses who have not yet come forward to contact police.


"As we have already stated, over the Bank Holiday weekend additional officers are on the streets across the capital, working hard to keep London safe. There are highly visible local patrols, supported by armed response officers, traffic motorcycles, dog units, and air support – alongside plain clothes intelligence-led operations.

"Locally we are flexing our resources to increase the uniform police presence in Harrow, and working with Operation Trident to ensure our proactive effort is tasked in a targeted way.

"There will be additional patrols in the area of the shooting over the coming days.

"We continue to work with our partners and the local authority to tackle violent crime. Reducing violent crime can only be achieved if we all work together."



 

Source: Read Full Article