Inside illegal Bank Holiday rave as vomiting revellers ‘threaten’ villagers

Police have descended on an illegal Bank Holiday rave amid claims of ‘vomiting’ revellers threatening locals and music blaring out for miles.

Hundreds of people started gathering at a remote area of land between the villages of Brechfa and Abergorlech in Wales at about 1am yesterday.

Angry residents who approached the site were allegedly greeted by sick partygoers, broken bottles, loud music and litter strewn around.

Some are said to have been "verbally abused and physically threatened", while a strong smell of cannabis was left lingering at the scene.

Cops were made aware of the rave at around 1.15am yesterday. Officers "swiftly" attended the area, where the gathering was "well under way".

Based on the number of people involved and the safety aspects of breaking up the event, a decision was made to "prioritise disrupting and stopping entry of any further vehicles and people", police said.

The rave was still going on well into yesterday afternoon, with the main road into it blocked by officers, Wales Online reports. Access was only possible by crossing several fields, a stream and bypassing barbed wire.

Once inside, scores of people, looking a bit worse for wear, were milling around. Some were fast asleep inside their cars while others were sleeping on paths, on grassy banks and on a trailer left in one of the fields.

The music was still blaring yesterday afternoon and, at one location, dozens of what appeared to be empty drugs bags were strewn across the floor.

There was also a smell of cannabis, according to the news site.

Residents who live nearby have taken to social media to vent their anger, complaining that the event, about 15 miles north of Carmarthen, had left them “angry and shattered”.

Speaking to the BBC, local Charlotte Slade claimed some businesses in the area had lost customers amid the "loud and obnoxious music".

She said yesterday: "Some local residents have been verbally abused and physically threatened when they approached the site, greeted with vomiting partygoers, and broken bottles and litter strewn about.

"Local businesses have lost customers with people deciding to move on rather than listen to the incredibly loud and obnoxious music which can be heard for nearly a 16-mile diameter."

One officer at the scene said yesterday that they were no longer letting anyone into the area, which is only accessible via a narrow country lane.

They said anyone who left would be told they could not re-enter the event.

It was understood that the rave would continue last night and into this morning. It is unclear if or when it finished.

One resident said he and his wife were woken by noise early yesterday.

"I was woken at about 5am by the noise," said Leslie Borland, who lives just outside the hamlet of Nantyffin, and directly opposite the rave site.

"There was a police helicopter overhead at about 8am as well.

"It’s such a vast area of land with such a limited access that they would have needed the helicopter just to see the scale of the whole thing."

Leslie’s wife, Caroline, said she phoned police who told her they had already been called numerous times by other concerned residents.

"We’ve lived her for more than 10 years now and we’ve never heard or seen anything like this here," she said yesterday.

"A few years ago we heard this sort of thing in the distance but not close by.

"This is right opposite us. The only thing we can do is put our own music on tonight and hope that it will drown it out!"

Mrs Borland expressed concern for one neighbour in particular.

She added: "There’s a woman who lives on a small farm right in the middle of that area, and if there was an emergency there is no way she would be able to get out, and no way that the emergency services could get to her."

This concern was centred on the fact that, inside the area that was restricted by police, there were hundreds of cars and vans all lined up.

The vehicles were parked alongside each other.

There was no way, without everyone moving out of the way, that a vehicle could get up or down to the epicentre of the rave.

Police believe the event itself had been very well planned by someone who has knowledge of the local area.

They also earlier said that, for safety reasons, trying to move everyone out of the area was not currently an option.

"The number of persons involved and the safety aspects surrounding breaking up the event meant that a decision was made to prioritise disrupting and stopping entry of any further vehicles and people," a spokeswoman for Dyfed-Powys Police said yesterday.

“A police presence is being maintained today and the gathering is being closely monitored continuously, in order to minimise disruption to the local community.

"Officers are liaising with concerned residents in the area. The National Police Air Service also assisted this morning to gather further intelligence and evidence.

"There is little doubt that these types of events are very well-planned, organised and that local knowledge is important in drawing down the main group to a particular ‘vulnerable’ field, or area of land.

"We assure local communities that appropriate action is being taken to disrupt and deal with this event, and we will robustly investigate any criminal offences discovered.”

Cops warned potential rave-goers to stay away as they would not be allowed entry, while also stressing that furious residents should leave the matter with police.

“We understand the strength of feelings in respect of this, but we urge locals not to take matters into their own hands, and let the police deal with it,” the force spokeswoman added.

“We do not want potential attendees to the gathering to be under any illusions either – do not travel to the area as officers are there and you will be turned away.”

Source: Read Full Article