JOHN Lennon’s killer has been denied his freedom for an 11th time as a parole board ruled he must stay in jail.
Mark Chapman, 65, was turned down despite spending 39 years behind bars.
He appeared before a parole board in New York last week. The reasons for not allowing him to go free were not made public on Wednesday night.
Chapman, who is being held at the city’s Wende Correctional Facility, must remain in jail for at least another two years, before his next parole hearing.
He shot the former Beatle, 40, four times in front of his wife Yoko Ono in New York in December 1980.
Chapman was given 20 years to life in jail after pleading guilty to second-degree murder.
Two years ago, during a previous bid to go free, the parole board said it found his release “would be incompatible with the welfare and safety of society”.
Its decision statement said: “Your criminal history report reflects that this is your only crime of record. However, that does not mitigate your actions.”
On that occasion Ono, now 87, had said she feared for the safety of her and Lennon’s two sons, Julian and Sean, if Chapman was freed.
The board said at the time it felt there was a low risk of Chapman re-offending.
But it told him that his good behaviour did not outweigh “the gravity of your actions or the serious and senseless loss of life you have caused”.
It added: “You admittedly carefully planned and executed the murder of a world-famous person for no reason other than to gain notoriety.
“You demonstrated a callous disregard for the sanctity of human life and the suffering of others. This fact remains a concern to this panel.”
GOT a story? RING The Sun on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL email@example.com
Source: Read Full Article