Man ‘beaten to death with torch’ in ‘revenge attack’ after food shop, jury hears

A university graduate was beaten to death in a “revenge attack” after he pushed a boy off his bike, a jury has heard.

David Allan, 23, died from a torn artery in his skull, on June 5 this year on Wythenshawe Road in the Northern Moor area of Manchester.

Murder suspects Aiden Matthews, 30, and Joseph Stott, 33, have pleaded guilty to manslaughter but deny murder charges put to them in court, Manchester Evening News reports.

Witness accounts of the attack were heard during the trial at Manchester Crown Court with Matthews being described as delivering "it least five or six forceful, heavy blows with a metal torch" to Mr Allan's head and upper body.

Prosecutors added that it is most likely that one of the blows caused Mr Allan "immediate unconsciousness" by hitting his skull so violently that it rotated enough to tear the right artery inside the lower part of his skull near to the brainstem.

Mr Allan was pronounced dead the following day on June 5 2020.

It was suggested Mr Allan died in a "revenge attack" as the "catalyst" of events came when he knocked a 13-year-old boy – who was cycling very close to him with two others – off his bike.

Prosecutor Nick Johnson QC, said to the jury: “At 5:37pm, CCTV shows three boys on bikes crossing Moorcroft Rd.

“One, who is wearing a grey and black coat, does a wheelie as they cross the main road.

“As the three boys cycle past on the pavement very close to him, Mr Allan reaches out and pushes the one nearest to him, the same boy in the grey and black coat doing a wheelie earlier, which knocks him over.

"He gets up, they then turn their bikes around and go back the way they came, tracking Mr Allan on the other side of the road as he enters Tesco.

“It can be inferred from what later happened, that the boy who was pushed went to tell his mother what had happened.”

A few minutes later the boy's mother pulled up outside the Tesco Express in a burgundy Nissan Juke and was seen on CCTV to shout and point at Mr Allan before driving off, the court heard.

According to his police interview, Matthews said that the mother told him that Mr Allan had "hit" her son, it was said.

Mr Allan tried to walk away round the back of the Transit van but the van appeared to deliberately reverse into him, pushing him backwards, the jury were told.

"Punches were exchanged" between Matthews and Mr Allan but the 23-year-old managed to walk away until the same Transit van pulled alongside him again, the court heard.

Matthews got out and ran towards Mr Allan holding a piece of metal that was described as looking "like an Olympic Torch" which he used to batter his victim, the court heard.

“On the other side of Mr Allan she saw Stott. He was nearer to the feet end at this point and was repeatedly kicking the victim about eight times," Mr Johnson said.

The following day on June 5, Stott handed himself in to the police, initially denying involvement but then admitting in his police interview he was "foolishly sticking up for Matthews".

The trial continues.

Source: Read Full Article