Man has 15 cans of beer pumped INTO his stomach by Vietnamese doctors

Man has 15 cans of beer pumped INTO his stomach by Vietnamese doctors to save him from alcohol poisoning

  • Nguyen Van Nhat, 48, had a blood methanol level 1,119 times higher than normal 
  • Alcohol contains ethanol and methanol but the liver breaks down ethanol first 
  • So to stop his methanol levels rising doctors gave him more ethanol, i.e. beer

Medics have transfused five litres of beer into a man’s stomach to prevent him from dying of alcohol poisoning.

The treatment took place at General Hospital in the central Vietnamese province of Quang Tri when doctors administered 15 cans of beer to 48-year-old Nguyen Van Nhat in order to save his life.

Dr. Le Van Lam, head of the hospital’s Intensive Care Unit, told local media that the level of methanol in Nhat’s blood was 1,119 times higher than the appropriate limit.

Nguyen Van Nhat, 48, in hospital in the central Vietnamese province of Quang Tri. The level of methanol in Nhat’s blood was 1,119 times higher than the appropriate limit

To save his life, medics had to immediately transfuse three cans (one litre) of beer to slow down his liver’s processing of methanol.

According to Dr. Lam, one can of beer was given to Nhat every hour and after 15 cans were administered the patient was completely conscious.


  • Firefighters forced to apologise for putting up sign telling…


    Retiree drives stranger’s beloved dog 2,300 miles from North…

Share this article

The doctor explained that a person’s stomach and intestines continue to release alcohol into the bloodstream even if they are unconscious or have stopped drinking, and for a period alcohol levels in the body continue to rise.

Dr. Lam explained that alcohol comes in two variants, methanol and ethanol, and the human liver breaks down ethanol first as a priority.

Nhat had 15 cans worth of beer pumped into his stomach by Vietnamese doctors who saved his life after he contracted alcohol poisoning 

The man became unconscious when the methanol in his system oxidised to formaldehyde which in turn produced formic acid, according to reports.

To prevent oxidising formaldehyde to formic acid, giving beer to the methanol-poisoned patient gave medics enough time to perform dialysis.

Nhat was was discharged from the hospital after 3 weeks.

Source: Read Full Article