Medical science students were told to use ChatGPT. This is what it wrote
- University of Sydney medical science students will be among the first to use artificial intelligence program ChatGPT to compose an essay.
- Officials from the university say they need to work with the technology, not fight it.
- The assignment wants 180 students to compose a question about contemporary medical challenges and ask ChatGPT to write an essay on it.
University of Sydney medical science students will be among the first to use artificial intelligence program ChatGPT to compose an essay for their first assignments this semester.
The decision to embrace artificial intelligence stands in contrast to earlier calls for universities to return to pen and paper tests, and use targeted detection strategies in a bid to stop students using AI to do their assignments.
The University of Sydney has asked its medical science students to use ChatGPT to compose an essay.Credit:Oscar Colman
Martin Brown, course co-ordinator for the subject Contemporary Medical Challenges, said he and his colleagues believed it was impossible to ignore ChatGPT and so they incorporated it into the course.
″You have to work with it,” he said. “You can’t ban it – it would be crazy to.”
The assignment due last Sunday night calls on 180 students to compose a question about contemporary medical challenges and ask ChatGPT to write an essay on it. Students must read what the robot produces, edit its response, track their changes and submit a final draft for marking.
Brown said the assignment was testing students’ ability to exercise judgment and be creative because those were skills that would be required in their professional lives, rather than simply collating information.
“There are different types of knowing – one of the basic types is memorising and reproducing information or collating information – that is a stock-in-trade for universities but ChatGPT does that,” Brown said.
Successfully manipulating a question for ChatGPT to produce an optimal essay was one of the main criteria for success while the marker would also judge how they had edited the essay to an acceptable standard.
“We want to make sure the grads are not just getting ChatGPT to do their work, we want them to have discerning judgment, and a curiosity about the future,” he said.
Universities across the nation have been grappling with the advent of ChatGPT since it was released last November.
An essay written by ChatGPT: what are the contemporary medical challenges we’re facing?
Contemporary medical challenges refer to those medical issues that are currently of significant concern and require immediate attention. These challenges span various areas of medicine and healthcare, affecting individuals, communities, and societies. Here are some of the most pressing contemporary medical challenges and their impact.
1. COVID-19: COVID-19 is a highly infectious respiratory disease caused by the novel coronavirus. It has become one of the most pressing medical challenges of our time. The pandemic has already claimed millions of lives worldwide and has affected many aspects of life, including education, travel, and the economy. The global community is struggling to contain the spread of the virus, developing vaccines and treatments, and coping with the social and economic impact of the pandemic.
2. Antibiotic resistance: Antibiotic resistance is a growing threat to public health, which makes it difficult to treat bacterial infections. Antibiotic resistance is caused by the overuse and misuse of antibiotics. It is leading to an increase in the severity and prevalence of diseases such as tuberculosis, pneumonia, and urinary tract infections. Addressing this challenge requires a multi-faceted approach, including a reduction in the use of antibiotics, the development of new antibiotics, and the promotion of good hygiene practices.
3. Chronic diseases: Chronic diseases such as diabetes, cancer, and heart disease are among the leading causes of death globally. These diseases are typically caused by a combination of genetic, lifestyle, and environmental factors. The challenge posed by chronic diseases is significant, as they are responsible for a significant burden on healthcare systems and the economy. Preventative measures such as lifestyle changes, early screening, and timely treatment are essential in addressing this challenge.
4. Mental health: Mental health challenges such as depression, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) are prevalent and have a significant impact on individuals, families, and communities. Mental health issues often go undiagnosed and untreated due to social stigma, lack of access to services, and inadequate mental health infrastructure. The consequences of untreated mental health issues can be severe and can lead to physical health issues, substance abuse, and suicide.
5. Access to healthcare: Access to quality healthcare is a pressing challenge, particularly in low-income countries. Many people lack access to essential health services, including primary care, maternal and child health, and preventive care. The lack of access to healthcare leads to poor health outcomes, and it also contributes to the growing inequalities between rich and poor countries.
6. Aging population: As the world population continues to age, healthcare systems must adapt to meet the needs of an aging population. This includes not only medical treatments but also social support services and care for people with chronic conditions such as Alzheimer’s disease. Addressing the needs of an aging population requires investment in healthcare infrastructure, social services, and research on aging-related diseases.
In conclusion, contemporary medical challenges present significant problems that require immediate attention from healthcare professionals, policymakers, and the general public. These challenges have a significant impact on individuals and communities, affecting health outcomes, social welfare, and economic development. Addressing these challenges requires a multi-faceted approach, including investments in healthcare infrastructure, research, and public education. The global community must come together to confront these challenges and find sustainable solutions to ensure a healthier and more equitable future.
The Group of Eight lobby group, which represents the nation’s elite universities including the University of Sydney, said in December that assessment tasks would need to go back to pen and paper to stop students from cheating with the technology.
A University of Sydney spokeswoman said they always believed there was a need to teach students how to use it effectively and legitimately. Other courses were also asking students to use ChatGPT in assignments this semester.
One engineering subject asked students use ChatGPT to compose questions in an email as part of an assignment, which university management said was how businesses were already using the technology.
“This is exactly how experts are saying the future workforce will need to be skilled,” the university spokeswoman said.
The University’s English department asked students to use it for an assignment analysing the language of Shakespeare.
At the University of NSW, a spokeswoman said some subjects would allow ChatGPT to be used while in others it would be banned.
“Students will receive course-specific instructions. In some assessments, the use of AI will be allowed, in others, its use will either not be practical or will not be permitted,” she said.
A UTS spokeswoman said staff were still grappling with how the technology could be used.
A UTS spokeswoman said they continue to communicate with students about academic integrity, about what is permissible in subjects.Credit:Oscar Colman
“We have encouraged students to actively engage with these tools and to critically reflect on how they can be used,” she said.
“UTS continues to communicate with students about academic integrity, about what is permissible in subjects, and how our teachers expect students to interact with, and acknowledge the use of, generative AI.”
The Morning Edition newsletter is our guide to the day’s most important and interesting stories, analysis and insights. Sign up here.
Most Viewed in National
From our partners
Source: Read Full Article