MTA plans decade of hell to finally fix subways

Welcome to the decade of hell.

The MTA plans to massively disrupt the subways with frequent night and weekend closures so that it can install new signals in a huge chunk of the system within the next 10 years, transit sources told The Post on Tuesday.

The moves are part of a “revitalization plan” that New York City Transit President Andy Byford is set to officially reveal on Wednesday, sources said.

The timetable to replace the troubled signal system is a steep escalation of what had previously been expected. Transit experts and members of the MTA have been saying it would take more like 40 years, but that was if the work had been much more spread out.

Under the first five years of the plan, the agency hopes to replace dilapidated, decades-old signals on the Lexington Avenue, line between 149th St.-Grand Concourse in the Bronx to Nevins Street in Brooklyn, the A/C/E line from Columbus Circle to Jay Street-MetroTech, portions of the F and G lines in Brooklyn and the E/F/M/R line in Queens, sources said. These fixes will affect about 3 million riders.

The MTA will then tackle parts of the Sixth Avenue line, A and C between Jay Street-MetroTech to Lefferts Boulevard and Ozone Park, the Rockaway shuttle and parts of the Broadway Avenue line in years five through 10, sources said.

Those upgrades will affect another 2 million riders, said sources.

The plan will also add more wheelchair accessibility to an additional 50 stations within the next five years, said a source.

Byford also plans to reorganize New York City Transit management to create more accountability down to the station level, the source said.

“We recognize that there are things in New York City Transit culture that needs to change,” the source said.

The plan will initially use the same communications-based train-control technology that is on the L train and being installed on the No. 7 line, but the agency also plans to add a more high-tech ultra-wideband, which uses a super-sensitive GPS system.

Sources said Byford will not reveal Wednesday how much the plan will cost or who will pay for it.

Advocates say they are impressed with the scope of the plan but also want to know where the money is coming from.

“The plan is the bold yet credible proposal to actually fix the subway that riders have been waiting for,” said Danny Pearlstein, a spokesman at Riders Alliance. “Now it’s time for Gov. Cuomo and the legislature to come up with a way to pay for it to get New Yorkers moving again.”

MTA board member Andrew Albert agreed that all agencies — federal, state and city — need to step up and float the cash.

“It’s ambitious and great for the region, and it’s important that everyone come together to get this done,” he said.

The plan comes 10 months after MTA Chairman Joe Lhota instituted his $836 million Subway Action Plan, which was meant as shorter-term fixes to shore up chronic delays on the troubled system.

Source: Read Full Article