The Daily Star’s FREE newsletter is spectacular! Sign up today for the best stories straight to your inbox
A “terrified” mum had to barbecue spider eggs after a sac containing “big black eggs” burst in her Asda bananas.
Jaime Larter, 41, got in touch with the supermarket after making the gruesome discovery – and was told to just “bin them”.
The mum-of-one, from Beccles in Suffolk, then spent hours burning the sac after getting advice from her local zoo and Great Yarmouth Borough Council.
Jamie and her 10-year-old daughter Daisy Larter have slept with the light on since the incident.
She said: ”I opened the packet, went to pick a banana from the bunch and my thumb grazed over that lump of spider webs with the eggs in.
"I think only about three eggs fell out – that's when I scooped the whole thing up and put them straight in the bag, and into a carrier bag.
"There were lots more eggs in the sac, which was maybe about the size of a 50p.
"It burst open and the eggs were black and really large, I guess they were almost ready to hatch.
"I didn't know if there were any spiders in there or whether the mother spider was in the bunch, I wasn't going to investigate at all.”
After sending her local zoo a photo of the find, she was told to wrap them up in plastic, get them out of the house and burn them.
Protesters filmed chanting 'paedophile' outside Buckingham Palace gates
Jamie added: ”It was quite a scary experience burning them. I was thinking what if they hatch with the heat, what if they run away and I won't see them?
"I didn't realise how hard bananas are to burn and put them on my BBQ with lots of paper, wood and lighting fluid. I was probably burning them for three hours just to make sure, I was terrified."
Even though she seems to be rid of the eggs, Jamie remains fearful for her and her daughter.
She said: "I had to go and tell my daughter and calmly explain to her what had happened. She was really freaked out, I still think she's really freaked out.
"The night before she'd asked for a banana at bed time, I said she could have one in the morning. It could have been her opening it I guess.
Chemical 'death screams' of bacteria help invading swarm survive antibiotics
"Me and my daughter were both jumping when our hair touched our neck and quite luckily we went on holiday the next day."
It is unknown what species of spider the eggs belong to.
Great Yarmouth Borough Council said in a statement: "Where the council receives reports of this kind, we seek professional assistance from local experts to identify and advise on next steps, the advice in this case being to destroy the eggs by incineration, not by throwing in the household bin.
"We are raising this matter to be discussed with the retailer at a national level."
Asda apologised to Jamie and offered her a £20 voucher.
A spokesperson said: "None of our bananas come from areas where Brazilian Wandering Spiders can be found and after speaking with our suppliers we are confident that the eggs on these bananas do not match those of a Brazilian Wandering Spider.
Brit pulled from sea on surfboard near Marbella three days after falling off cruise ship
"Every banana we sell is washed and checked before arriving in the UK, so the chances of finding a spider are incredibly low, especially as tropical spiders rarely survive in colder temperatures.
"Our process is to ask customers to return the product so that we can identify the object but on this occasion this was not followed correctly and we have apologised to Ms Larter for this.
"We would never advise a customer to incinerate anything themselves given the obvious safety implications and the fact that a flame may cause the packaging to split.
"In the past year, we've sold a billion bananas and received a number of complaints about potential spiders, or spider egg sacs, found in bananas bought at Asda. None of these cases included 'deadly spiders' as reported in the media."
Source: Read Full Article