Mum, stepdad and boy, 13, facing trial over death of Logan, 5, found dumped in bin bag in river with horrific injuries

A MUM, stepdad and teen are facing trial over the death of five-year-old boy dumped in a river with devastating injuries.

Logan Mwangi was left in "extreme pain and distress" after allegedly being attacked at his home in Bridgend, South Wales, on Saturday.

He was reported missing but later pulled from the nearby Ogmore River wrapped in bin bags with multiple injuries including a torn liver and broken collarbone, it is said.

Logan also had head injuries and was allegedly found to have suffered "impacted pressure by an object, a foot or a fist".

His stepdad John Coles, 39, appeared at Newport Crown Court today charged with murder and perverting the course of justice.

Logan's mum Angharad Williamson, 30, and a 13-year-old boy also appeared in court charged with perverting the course of justice.

None of the defendants entered pleas and a provisional trial date of January 31, 2022, was set.

The trio were remanded in custody ahead of a hearing on November 12 at the same court.


Details of the devastating injuries Logan suffered before he was found in the river were revealed for the first time yesterday.

Cardiff Magistrates' Court heard how Logan’s body was taken to the river in plastic bin bags and his ripped t-shirt had been thrown away.

Neighbours heard Williamson screaming "where's Logan" after the alert was raised on Saturday morning, it was said

Prosecutor Bethan Poole said: "There were three main injuries caused when Logan was alive.

"The cause of death is not an accident and was as a result of impacted pressure either by an object, a foot or a fist."   


Investigating officer, Detective Chief Inspector Mark O'Shea, said: "This is a very harrowing case for all involved and I extend my deepest sympathies to Logan's family and friends."

Locals said previously Angharad, who gave birth to a baby boy in February last year, and Coles – also known as Jay – had been together for around three years.

They got engaged in May and were planning to get married next year – with Logan "beyond excited" about being a page boy.

The family had recently returned from a trip to Blackpool but had to quarantine when they returned for two weeks after catching Covid.

Their last day of self-isolation was Saturday – when the youngster – also known as Logan Williamson – was found dead.

Logan was discovered in the water on Saturday morning and rushed to hospital, where it was confirmed he had died.

A family friend said Angharad collapsed soon after arriving at hospital when doctors told her Logan could not be saved.

Rhiannon Hales, 26, said: "My little girl is also five and she loved Logan, they were like little boyfriend and girlfriend together.

“I’m shocked and just devastated by what’s happened. He called me Auntie Rhi, but Logan was like my own little boy.

“He was such a happy kid, always said please and thank you.

“He loved colouring and did all the coronavirus posters in the front window of their flat.”

Tributes have now flooded in for Logan from his heartbroken classmates.

Parents of his reception class have broken the news of Logan "going to see the angels in heaven".

One mum took her five-year-old daughter to the spot – with the little girl saying Logan was "good at playing hide and seek".

She said the children were all due to start at the nearby Tondu Primary School together in September.

The mum added: "She knows he loved hide and seek, Spiderman and his favourite colour was blue.

"He just seemed really happy and a good boy. He was in my daughter's class for two years I think and they would be going up to big school in September."

    Source: Read Full Article