Northern Ireland government issues call for more healthcare staff

Northern Ireland government issues call to arms for more healthcare staff to join battle against coronavirus as region faces second surge

  • Health Minister Robin Swann said country needs to re-build healthcare capacity
  • The first appeal held earlier this year received 11,644 formal applications 
  • Northern Ireland recorded further 923 cases of coronavirus in the past 24 hours

Northern Ireland has issued a call to arms for more healthcare staff to join battle against coronavirus as the region faces a second surge. 

More than 11,000 applications were received in March to the Covid-19 HSC Workforce Appeal. 

It resulted in the appointment of 1,702 doctors, nurses and other ancillary staff to bolster staff numbers during the first surge of cases of the virus.

But Stormont Health Minister Robin Swann said they want to build capacity again as the region battles a second surge.

Stormont Health Minister Robin Swann (pictured) has issued a call to arms for more healthcare staff to join battle against coronavirus as the region faces a second surge

The first appeal earlier this year received 11,644 formal applications which included clinical and support work. 

Mr Swann described the response as ‘phenomenal’ and issued his thanks for applicants.

‘We have now reopened the workforce appeal to build capacity again with particular focus on certain roles and positions,’ he said.

‘I would urge anyone with the relevant skills and experience to consider applying to join or return to the health service.   

The first appeal earlier this year received 11,644 formal applications which included clinical and support work. Pictured: Medical staff in the respiratory emergency department at Craigavon Area Hospital in Co Armagh, Northern Ireland

‘We are in an evolving situation that may require further recruitment drives going forward and we will continue to monitor the situation closely.’

The new appeal went live on October 2. 

It comes after Northern Ireland recorded a further 923 cases of coronavirus in the past 24 hours.

Northern Ireland’s Covid-19 death toll now stands at 587, according to the daily figures from the Department. 

Source: Read Full Article