One dead and two in hospital after blaze sparked by charging e-bike

Fire chiefs issue e-bike warning after one person died and two rushed to hospital following blaze sparked by vehicle which was charging overnight

  • Crews in four fire engines were called to home in Merseyside at 3am on Sunday
  • One died, another is in a serious condition and a third suffered smoke inhalation
  • Fire chiefs are now warning families of the ‘very real risks posed by e-bikes’ 

One person died and two more were taken to hospital after a fire sparked by an e-bike which was charging overnight. 

Crews from Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service (MFRS) in four fire engines were called to a semi-detached home in Litherland, near Aintree Racecourse, at 3am on Sunday, where they found the ground floor ablaze.

Four firefighters entered the property wearing breathing apparatus and used hose reel jets to extinguish the fire while also searching for occupants. 

Two people were found in the home and carried out of the property by firefighters.

One person died and two more were taken to hospital after a fire sparked by an e-bike which was charging overnight

A joint investigation between MFRS and Merseyside Police has revealed the fire was accidental and caused by an e-bike left charging overnight

Crews, along with paramedics who joined them at the scene, performed CPR but one of the occupants was unable to be saved.

The other remains in a serious condition in hospital, while a third person – who managed to escape the property and raise the alarm after being woken by smoke alarms – has also been treated by doctors for smoke inhalation.

A joint investigation between MFRS and Merseyside Police has revealed the fire was accidental and caused by an e-bike left charging overnight.

The blaze had rapidly taken hold and spread quickly through open internal doors and fire chiefs are now issuing a warning to e-bike owners.

Area Manager Mark Thomas said: ‘This is a devastating incident and our thoughts are very much with the family and friends of those involved. 

‘We are also mindful of the impact that the incident will have on the local community at this time and we will be on hand to offer our support in the coming days.

‘I would like also to commend the efforts of our fire control staff who offered help to callers, our fire crews who attempted rescues, also working with North West Ambulance Service who combined made every effort to provide emergency resuscitation for the casualties. 

‘This tragedy highlights the very real risks posed by e-bikes, which we have confirmed as the source of the fire.

‘We would ask that people don’t leave any electrical appliance – particularly e-bikes and scooters – charging unattended and definitely not while you are asleep when we are all at our most vulnerable. 

Crews from Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service (MFRS) in four fire engines were called to a semi-detached home in Litherland, near Aintree Racecourse, at 3am on Sunday, where they found the ground floor ablaze

‘Also consider if you are leaving the bike or scooter in the way of your escape route should you need to evacuate in darkness.

‘I would also urge people to follow the manufacturer’s instructions, only using batteries and chargers which have been supplied with the vehicle or approved by the manufacturer. 

‘Make a bedtime routine ensuring all internal doors are closed as this will slow the progress of a fire if one should happen.

‘In this incident the resident who raised the alarm was able to do so as smoke alarms had alerted them – please ensure you have working smoke alarms on every level of your home and check them regularly.’

Firefighters and MFRS prevention staff will visit the local area to provide vital fire safety advice and complete home fire safety checks as part of a reassurance campaign in the coming days.

Source: Read Full Article