A security monitor who might have been able to thwart the Parkland massacre sexually harassed two female students the year before, including one who died in the shooting, family members claimed.
Andrew Medina received a three-day suspension for harassing Meadow Pollack and another teen last year at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida — even though a disciplinary panel recommended he be fired, the South Florida Sun Sentinel reported Thursday.
The 39-year-old asked one of the students on a date and whispered to another, “You are fine as f—k,” a school district investigation found.
One of the students’ allegations were corroborated by surveillance footage showing Medina approaching her in a hallway on Feb. 16, 2017, according to Broward County Schools investigators.
“Both students became so uncomfortable with Mr. Medina’s comments and actions, they sought out different routes to their classes in an attempt to avoid him,” said the report, which was prepared by Robert Spence, a detective in the district’s Special Investigative Unit.
Meadow’s brother, Hunter, and father, Andrew, confirmed that she’d been sexually harassed by Medina — but only learned so after she’d died in the Feb. 14 mass shooting.
“If this had been brought to my attention back then, he would have never been at the school” the day of the shootings, Andrew told the newspaper.
The father and son said Medina called Meadow “beautiful and sweetheart” and that he threatened her boyfriend when he confronted Medina.
Andrew added that Medina, who worked as an unarmed security monitor at the school, “should have been fired a long time ago.”
The district said Medina had been suspended because he denied the allegations, had no previous disciplinary record and “there was no direct evidence to distinguish between the conflicting statements provided by the student and the employee.”
Medina, who was also a junior varsity baseball coach, was barred from school grounds in June for failing to call a “code red” — which would’ve placed the school on lockdown — when he saw alleged shooter Nikolas Cruz on the premises carrying a backpack and duffel bag.
“We had a meeting about him last year, and we said, ‘If there’s gonna be anybody who’s gonna come to this school and shoot this school up, it’s gonna be that kid,’” Medina told investigators just after the shooting in a videotaped interview that was made public last week.
Medina radioed another security monitor, David Taylor, about Cruz, telling him to “keep your eyes open.” Taylor hid in a janitor’s closet when he heard gunfire.
A spokeswoman for Broward County Schools told USA Today that because of recent media reports, both men “have received administrative reassignments away from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School until further notice.”
With Post wires
Source: Read Full Article