Queen names new corgi pups Fergus and Muick after her WW1 hero uncle and Balmoral beauty spot

THE Queen has named a new puppy Fergus in honour of her hero uncle who was killed in action during World War One.

The dog is one of two adorable pets Her Majesty, 94, acquired last month.

The other called Muick — pronounced Mick — got its moniker from one of the monarch’s favourite beauty spots.

The pair arrived at Windsor Castle as the Queen coped with Prince Philip having heart surgery and Harry and Meghan’s TV revelations.

Fergus, a dorgi — a cross between a corgi and a dachshund — was named in tribute to Fergus Bowes-Lyon, who died in France in 1915.

The other puppy, bought for £2,650, was renamed Muick — after Loch Muick on Her Majesty’s Balmoral estate in Scotland.

A source said: “Both name choices are extremely poignant and dear to the Queen.

“Loch Muick is one of her favourite places on the Balmoral estate and the loss of Uncle Fergus in the First World War is still honoured by the family.”

What’s in a name?


BEAUTIFUL Loch Muick is a place where the Queen and other royals regularly go walking and have picnics during their August and September breaks. Her Majesty was even pictured last summer walking around the freshwater loch, which is famed for its salmon and trout and is popular with hikers.


THE Queen’s uncle Fergus Bowes-Lyon was 26 when killed in action at the Battle of Loos in France in 1915. He was buried in a quarry.
When the Queen Mother married in 1923, she started a royal wedding tradition by laying her bridal bouquet at the Grave of the Unknown Warrior at Westminster Abbey to salute her brother.

Royal brides have left their wedding bouquets in salute to the monarch’s uncle at the grave of the Unknown Warrior in Westminster Abbey since the Queen Mother started the tradition 98 years ago.

It was thought the Queen had decided against having more pets after her dorgi Vulcan died last year.

But The Sun revealed last month that she had been cheered up by two puppies — who have not yet been seen in public.

They arrived shortly after Prince Philip, 99, was taken to hospital.

The first — a puppy, who was called Charlie — was bought from a breeder via the Pets4Homes website.

Charlie was collected by a Royal Household worker and chauffeur-driven to the castle, where he was then renamed Muick.

Loch Muick’s attractions include Glas-allt-Shiel hunting lodge, built by Queen Victoria and where she stayed after Prince Albert’s death.

The Queen still also has ageing dorgi Candy — the last remaining descendant of Susan, who was given as an 18th birthday present.

Buckingham Palace did not comment. 

GOT a story? RING The Sun on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL [email protected]

Source: Read Full Article