Russian thug jailed for 3 years after savage attack on England fan during Euros to be freed before Christmas

A RUSSIAN thug jailed for three years after a brutal attack on an England fan during 2016 will be out before Christmas. 

Pavel Kossov and Mikhail Ivkine – both 34 – were sentenced to 10 and three years respectively for their sickening assault on Andrew Bache, 55, in Marseille.

Police described the martial arts trained Russian thugs as acting “like commandos” in their vicious attacks on defenceless Three Lions fans.

The yobs left Mr Bache so severely beaten he was paralysed for life and barely able to speak after a brutal attack at Euro 2016.

A doctor said the force of the injuries would have been akin to falling from 26ft.

But it has now emerged the 33 months Ivkine spent on remand will count towards his three years, which along with French custody allowances means will be released next week. 


Andrew's lawyer Olivier Rosato said the thugs are "treated like heroes" in Russia so is battling to make sure Kossov stays in a French jail to avoid the risk of him being freed early back home.

"That's the way the system works. He was given three years but because of time in jail before the trial he will be released in a week or so," he told The Sun.

"Ideally it is not what we would have liked to see but at least Kossov who was the main culprit is serving a longer sentence. We wanted double figures for him and at least he will get that. 

"What we are trying to make sure is that he will serve his sentence in a French jail and not be transferred back to Russia. 

"We will oppose any request by Moscow for that to happen. These men were treated as heroes in their country so they should not be given any special treatment."

Their trial was told Kossov was accused of throwing the first punch at Mr Bache.

Mountain guide Kosov punched and kicked the victim, and sports teacher Ivkin struck him with a metal chair, the court heard.

Mr Bache was targeted as he enjoyed a drink with pals in the French city of England's match in June 2016 against Russia, the trial in Aix en Provence heard.

It was a 15 second assault that changed his life forever, the French court was told.

Medical expert Dr Michel Blanc said his injuries were consistent with a fall from 26ft.

He told the court: ''When I examined him two years after the event I was amazed he was still alive. 

''I questioned how he could have survived. It was a miracle that he did not succumb to his injuries.

''He had multiple cranial fractures and a cerebral haemorrhage, the injuries were consistent with a fall of around eight metres (26.2 ft).

"In my opinion he has irreversible disorders.''

Dramatic video footage played in court showed him in the moments leading up to the assault by Ivkine and Kossov.

Timed at 5pm and twenty seconds, Ivkine can be seen throwing a chair towards Andrew, who is hit on the shoulder but doesn't fall to the ground.

Seven seconds later he is punched from behind to the head by Kossov and then collapses, five seconds later another Russian fan who has never been identified hits him on the head and three seconds later Kossov kicks him in the kidneys.

He was left in a coma after receiving at least three blows to the head.


Another England fan, Stewart Gray, from Leicestershire, was also left in a coma following the violence which left another 32 Three Lions fans hurt.

The court has also heard from three members of Scotland Yard's Cyber crime unit who examined footage of the riots that day.

They spent weeks trawling through Facebook and social media websites in Russian before positively identifying Pavel and Kossov.

Met police officer Andrew Barnes told the court they had also used footage given to them by convicted British hooligan John Askey who was in Marseille at the time of the rioting and who was said to have a past ''linked to football and violence''.

Images from the day show Andrew covered in blood on the ground.

His heart stopped as he lay injured, and he owes his life to a hero French policeman who gave him cardiac massage for three minutes.

Patrice Martin – the hero officer who saved Andrew's life – gave evidence to the trial yesterday.

He said: ''I gave him CPR when he was on the ground. I felt his pulse stop and there was blood, a lot of blood.''

Earlier he described the charge by Russian hooligans into the England fans as a ''tsunami'', adding: ''The Russians had mouthguards in the colours of their country and knuckle dusters.

''There were clashes on all sides. It was a furious fight."

Gilles Montfort, 47, from the CRS squad on duty that day in the Old Port area of Marseilles told the court: "They arrived like an army, it was a commando style attack.”

Kosov was arrested in Cologne and Ivkine in Munich as they travelled to watch Spartak Moscow play Athletic Bilbao in Spain in 2018.

Both were charged with violent assembly and violence with a weapon resulting in permanent injury.

Source: Read Full Article