Sister of one of Colin Pitchfork's victims blasts 'he should never have come out' of jail after 'conning' parole board

THE SISTER of one of Colin Pitchfork's victims has blasted that "he should have never come out" of jail after "conning" the parole board.

The monster, 61, was jailed for life after raping and strangling 15-year-olds Lynda Mann and Dawn Ashworth in Leicestershire in 1983 and 1986.

But the double child murderer was released from prison in September – before being re-arrested last week for "concerning behaviours" two months into his freedom.

He had been living at a bail hostel but was hauled back to prison for approaching women on "multiple" occasions while on walks –breaching the terms of his release on licence.

Sue Gratrick last saw her younger sister Lynda as she was heading out through the front door of their family home – before she was raped and strangled to death in 1983.

She has now blasted her sister's killer, saying that he should have "never come out" of prison.

The sister also said that hearing that the vile killer had been re-arrested felt like she had "won the lottery."

When asked how she felt when she got the call about her sister's murderer, SueGratrick said: "The one for his release? Really angry.

"The one to say that he was re-arrested? Amazing. It was like winning the lottery.

Keeping her face concealed, she told Good Morning Britain: "He's back where he belongs and he's not going to come back out again, he can't do it again, I hope.

"He should have never, never, never come out. 

"For now, at least, everyone is a lot safer."

It's alleged that Colin Pitchfork "conned" the parole board who allowed him to be released – as he controlled polygraph tests and cheated lie detectors.

He was then released before being arrested over “concerning behaviours” including allegedly approaching young girls while out walking.

His recall to prison was exclusively revealed in The Sun – and a source told of the "great concern" his behaviour had caused.

Susanna Reid said on GMB: "He may have been trying to cheat lie detector tests, he is understood to have approached young women on multiple occasions.

"He was observed to have a bad attitude, he may have tried to counteract the results of polygraph tests by controlling and altering his physical responses with breathing techniques.

"All of those breaches you must think now, 'that's it, don't let him out again.'"


And Sue Gratrick said: "He's fooled the parole board once, but I don't think he'll manage it again.

"Hopefully they'll see through it this time.

"He's dangerous and he's not going to change. All child killers should get life, and they shouldn't be allowed back out."

Speaking after his re-arrest, retired Detective Chief Superintendent David Baker, the officer who caught Pitchfork said: "This is what we expected.

"Pitchfork has reverted to type by approaching these girls. I felt at the time that he hadn't been honest with the probation service.

"He conned them. I'm not surprised this has happened.

"He has been in prison for a long time, and suddenly he had access to young girls on a daily basis. The temptation was always going to be there.

"I think the probation system needs looking at.

"They need to be clear that people are safe. In Pitchfork's case, they said they had consulted the police – well, no one ever spoke to me."

Justice Secretary Dominic Raab said to be "looking closely" at further reforms to the parole board.

Pitchfork raped and strangled Lynda Mann in Narborough, Leicestershire in November 1983, before raping and murdering Dawn Ashworth three years later in nearby village Enderby.

Pitchfork was the first person in the world to be convicted using DNA evidence when he was locked up for life with a minimum of 30 years.

The monster raped and strangled Lynda as she made her way home from babysitting.


Three years later, Dawn vanished on the short walk to her home in Enderby.

Her body was discovered in the corner of a field hidden under branches.

In 2009, Pitchfork's minimum sentence was reduced from 30 years to 28 years.

The fiend, who was pictured on day release in 2017 wandering through Bristol, applied for parole in 2018 but his plea was rejected.

But the matter was reconsidered in June this year and the parole board deemed he was no longer a danger to the public.

They trawled through more than 1,100 pages of information, victim statements, evidence from Pitchfork and his probation officers, police and a psychologist.

They found he thought "about sex a lot", used "violence and excessive force" and "sex to demonstrate power and control over women" while offending.

The experts also said he "struggled" to cope with anger and loneliness and had a willingness to "seek revenge". However, they believed he'd changed while behind bars.

The Probation Service said: “Protecting the public is our priority so when offenders breach conditions and potentially pose a risk, we will return them to custody.”

    Source: Read Full Article