Terrifying aftermath of London street attack that saw man stabbed to death

Shocking CCTV footage has captured the terrifying moments after a man was stabbed to death on a street in London.

Horrifying surveillance video shows people running from the scene, in Islington, including a man and young girl backing away and a hooded man bolting down the street.

The victim, who has not yet been named, died at around 6.30pm, Scotland Yard said.

Local business owner Gregory Barry said he saw the incident unfold over his CCTV.

He said: "There were two blokes in a van, it pulled up on the street.

"It looked like there was an altercation and the fight carried on outside the van."

Many have described the incident as "tragic" and "unbelievable," with one writing on social media that it was a "horrible thing to witness".

Another expressed how frightening it was and said he saw CPR being done on somebody from a distance.

He told Mirror Online: "It’s scary to happen on your doorstep. It’s sad that this keeps happening in London too."

A cordon was put in place along the road, which is lined with high-end shops and restaurants.

Islington councillor Paul Convery described the attack as "horrifying".

He tweeted: "Shocking incident on Upper Street right now outside Town Hall. Reported that man fatally stabbed."

Police have launched an investigation but no arrests have yet been made.

A nearby church was opened for food and shelter after many residents were unable to access their homes.

Forensic officers were scanning the road near to where the stabbing took place and a tent was put up over the spot where the incident happened.

Officers are appealing for anyone with information to contact the Metropolitan Police.

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan tweeted: "I remain in close contact with @metpoliceuk, the local MP and Leader of the Council following a fatal stabbing in Islington this evening.

"This is being investigated by officers and my thoughts are with the victim’s family."

A statement by the Metropolitan Police reads: "Police were called at approximately 18:30hrs on Monday, 21 May to reports of a man suffering stab injuries after being attacked in Upper Street, near the junction with Tyndale Lane.

"Officers and London Ambulance Service attended. The man was pronounced dead at the scene.

"Road closures remain in place around the scene.

"There have been no arrests; enquiries into the circumstances continue."

At this early stage, anyone with information is asked to contact police via 101 or tweet @MetCC quoting ref: CAD5952/21May.

Alternatively, contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Source: Read Full Article