A top veterinary surgeon has revealed whether or not it is okay for dog owners to give their pups a little piece of their Sunday roast dinner.
Every dog owner is familiar with this scenario. You're enjoying a nice, delicious dinner with your family. The meal consists of juicy steaks or perfectly roasted chicken. But suddenly you notice two sad eyes staring at you and the table with longing.
Our beloved pets are an integral part of our families and that includes making them involved during dinner time. Often we feel guilty not sharing some of the food on the table with the dog.
This is why many dog owners often let their pets be a part of the Sunday dinner tradition and feed them little bits of meat that these pups devour with glee. But is it safe for them to eat food like this?
TeamDogs looked up advice on the My Family Vets website, which listed what foods are okay for our precious pooches.
Chicken and carrots are safe for dogs but there are some things you need to look out for.
Although chicken is a good lean source of protein, you must make sure there are no chicken bones in it.
If you have a puppy and you want to give them some carrot, you need to cut it up for them and makes sure it is properly cooked.
Raw chopped carrots are fine for dogs to eat when they are older.
But what about other items we put on our roasts?
Join our brand new sister website TeamDogs today!
It's a place where you can share a picture of your dog in our Top Dogs feed and share your doggy advice.
Dave Tweedle, veterinary surgeon and clinical board vice-chair at the UK’s leading network of veterinary practices, My Family Vets, told TeamDogs: “I can confirm that potatoes, broccoli, sprouts, peas and Yorkshire pudding are all okay in moderation.
"Too much of any food which isn't normally eaten may cause stomach upsets though.”
So, if you are going to give your dog a Sunday roast, you can, but do it in moderation and make sure there are no hidden dangers in it like onions or garlic – which are toxic to dogs.
If you're concerned your dog has eaten something that may be toxic consult your vet straight away.
Source: Read Full Article