Topshop cancels party after designer pulls out over Green claims

Topshop is forced to cancel launch party for its latest collection ‘after designer quits over Sir Philip Green sexual harassment claims’

  • Michael Halpern is said to have pulled out after Sir Philip unmasked in the Lords
  • The London-based designer was due to work with Topshop on a new collection 
  • Sir Philip was yesterday pictured boarding and plane and flying back to the UK  

Topshop has been forced to cancel the launch party for its latest collection after a designer quit over Sir Philip Green’s sexual harassment claims, it has been reported. 

Michael Halpern is said to have withdrawn after Sir Philip, the chain’s billionaire boss, was unmasked as the businessman who gagged the press over claims of racism and sexual harassment. 

It was announced in August that London-based Halpern would work with Topshop on the 28-item collection, which is due in stores next month. 


Michael Halpern (left, with Mary Katrantzou Harper’s Bazaar Women of the Year Awards on October 30) is said to have withdrawn after Sir Philip, the chain’s billionaire boss, (right, on October 27) was unmasked as the businessman who gagged the press

But a fashion source told The Daily Telegraph: ‘His brand is about female empowerment. That’s his ethos. He couldn’t go ahead with this — it wouldn’t be a good look.’


  • Flying home to face the music? Sir Philip Green is given…


    ‘I’ll turn gay and proposition YOU’, Sir Philip Green rages…


  • Chancellor announces new tax on companies which use…

Share this article

MailOnline has contacted Arcadia group, Topshop’s parent company, for comment. 

Who is Michael Halpern? 

He is a London-based designer who launched the Halpern label in 2016, which has gone on to achieve significant commercial success.  

New York-born Halpern had his break that same year when his MA graduate collection at Central Saint Martins was noticed by Donatella Versace, who recruited him as an advisor. 

Halpern at the Royal Albert Hall on December 4, 2017

‘When I saw Michael’s work, I immediately picked up the phone to get in touch with him,’ Versace told T magazine. ‘I never saw anything like it before. His sense of colour is brilliant; his craftsmanship is incredible.’

In 2017, Halpern picked up the British Emerging Talent award at The Fashion Awards for his disco-inspired minidresses, jumpsuits and flared trousers. 

Sir Philip has been spending time in a luxury spa in sunny Arizona this week, but looks to be heading back to Britain to face the music. 

The 66-year-old- who is fighting for his reputation and battling to keep hold of his knighthood – was pictured yesterday striding towards the plane with his phone glued to his ear, deep in conversation.

As he climbed the steps to his private jet he was given a welcoming smile from the air stewardess, who he promptly hugged and kissed on the cheek.

When he lands on British soil, Sir Philip will have to face the fallout from the allegations made against him.

Among some of the serious claims put to him include Sir Philip allegedly creeping up behind women in the corridors and touching staff members awkwardly.

He is also alleged to have gone into meeting and asked if there were any ‘naughty girls’ that ‘needed their bottoms slapped’ and cut a female executive’s hair during a meeting.

Sir Philip, whose daughter has a son with American ‘hot felon’ Jeremy Meeks, was named after a court gag order was blown apart when former government minister Lord Peter Hain used parliamentary privilege rules to name Sir Philip in defiance of the legal restrictions.

In a bombshell statement in the House of Lords, Labour party peer Lord Hain said it was ‘clearly in the public interest’ that the allegations were aired.

He said the case involved ‘substantial payments to conceal the truth about serious and repeated sexual harassment, racist abuse and bullying which is compulsively continuing’.

Earlier this week in Arizona the businessman launched a furious rant at reporters who found his hideaway.

He hit out at the journalists over their ‘manners’ and said their behaviour would lead to a ‘very ugly place’.    

The 66-year-old- who is fighting for his reputation and battling to keep hold of his knighthood – is pictured with Beyonce and Cara Delevingne at Topman New York’s opening dinner on November 4, 2014

Source: Read Full Article