BREAKING NEWS: Trump CANCELS his summit with Kim because of his ‘open hostility and tremendous anger’ after North Korea insults Mike Pence
- North Korea ‘s vice foreign minister Choe Son Hui slammed Pence in remarks on Wednesday, calling him a ‘political dummy’ and ‘ignorant and stupid’
- Pence told Fox News on Monday that North Korea could end up like Libya if it doesn’t make a deal with Trump, leading to the outrage
- Trump said it would be ‘inappropriate’ to hold talks at this time after Choe’s rant
- ‘You talk about your nuclear capabilities, but ours are so massive and powerful that I pray to God they will never be used,’ he said in a letter to Kim
- President told DailyMail.com on Wednesday before the latest volley that he’d make a decision about the June 12 Singapore summit ‘next week’
President Donald Trump called off his summit with Kim Jong-un on Thursday after North Korea hurled insults at Vice President Mike Pence.
Trump said it would be ‘inappropriate’ to hold talks at this time after the Kim regime again tested the limits of his patience.
‘You talk about your nuclear capabilities, but ours are so massive and powerful that I pray to God they will never be used,’ he said in a letter to Kim that the White House distributed.
North Korea’s vice foreign minister had slammed Pence for his ‘unbridled and impudent remarks that North Korea might end like Libya.’
Choe Son Hui also said the future of the summit between Pyongyang and Washington is ‘entirely’ up to the United States, as she condemned an interview Pence gave to Fox News.
President Donald Trump called off his summit with Kim Jong-un on Thursday after North Korea hurled insults at Vice President Mike Pence
‘You talk about your nuclear capabilities, but ours are so massive and powerful that I pray to God they will never be used,’ he said in a letter to Kim that the White House distributed
Trump said in his letter to Kim that as a result of the ‘tremendous anger and open hostility’ demonstrated by North Korea in the latest back and forth, he was pulling out of the June 12 meeting to discuss Pyongyang’s nuclear program.
‘I feel it is inappropriate, at this time, to have this long-planned meeting,’ Trump said. ‘Therefore, please let this letter serve to represent that the Singapore summit, for the good of both parties, but to the detriment of the world, will not take place.’
The U.S. president went on to say that he hopes to meet Kim one day and that the good dialogue that was building up between the two nations prior to the recent provocations remains promising.
Trump’s letter to Kim followed a string of threats from the North to call off the summit that had been brokered to discuss a commitment to denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.
The president told DailyMail.com on Wednesday that he’d know whether he was moving forward with the Singapore summit ‘next week.’ That was before North Korea’s latest volley, which included the assault on Pence.
‘We will neither beg the U.S. for dialogue nor take the trouble to persuade them if they do not want to sit together with us,’ said Choe Son Hui, according to a report by North Korea’s central news agency on Thursday.
She added: ‘I cannot suppress my surprise at such ignorant and stupid remarks gushing out from the mouth of the US vice-president.
North Korea has called Mike Pence ‘ignorant and stupid’ for comments he made comparing the state to Libya. The vice president is pictured on Wednesday in Connecticut
‘We could surmise more than enough what a political dummy he is (Pence), as he is trying to compare the DPRK, a nuclear weapon state, to Libya that had simply installed a few items of equipment and fiddled around with them.’
Choe Son Hui, North Korea’s vice foreign minister, said: ‘We will neither beg the U.S. for dialogue nor take the trouble to persuade them if they do not want to sit together with us’
Choe said she could suggest to leader Kim that he reconsider the summit, if the United States offends the North’s good will.
Pence was a focal point in the initial stages of diplomacy between the U.S. and North Korea.
He attended the Opening Ceremony of the PyeongChang Olympic Games in February alongside Kim’s sister, Kim Yo Jong. He did not talk to the North Korean emissary during the games, instead previewing during the trip another round of U.S. sanctions.
In a Monday in an interview with Fox New’s Martha MacCallum that came as the summit hung in the balance, Pence responded to North Korean complaints about comments that had been made by Trump national security advisor John Bolton.
‘You know, there was some talk of the Libyan model last week. And as the president made clear, this will only end like the Libyan model ended if Kim Jong-un doesn’t make a deal,’ he said.
Pence warned, ‘It would be a great mistake for Kim to think he could play Donald Trump.’
‘We really hope that Kim Jong Un will seize the opportunity to dismantle his nuclear weapons program, and do so by peaceable means.’
In the letter calling off the June 12 summit, Trump indicated he’d be open to putting a new date on the calendar for talks with Kim, who he again thanked for releasing three American hostages earlier this month.
‘I felt a wonderful dialogue was building up between you and me, and ultimately, it is only that dialogue that matters,’ he said. ‘Some day, I look very much forward to meeting you. In the meantime, I want to thank you for the release of the hostages who are now home with their families. That was a beautiful gesture and was very much appreciated.’
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo just happened to be testifying on Capitol Hill on Thursday when the White House circulated the letter.
‘I’ve had discussions with Chairman Kim personally. There have been other discussions. I am going to reserve some space for us to be able to conduct these discussions outside of the public sphere,’ he said. ‘I think that’s important. I think it’s important for our eventual ability to achieve the outcomes that I think everyone in this room hopes we can achieve. … I think we’ve made very clear what our objectives are.”‘
Trump’s decision to postpone the nuclear summit was cautiously endorsed by Sen. Democratic leader Chuck Schumer as the Senate came into session on Thursday.
‘On the very recent news that President Trump has canceled the planned summit with Kim Jong-un of North Korea: The fear many of us had was that the summit between President Trump and Kim Jong-un would be a great show that produced nothing enduring,’ Schumer stated. ‘If a summit is to be reconstituted, the United States must show strength and achieve a concrete, verifiable, enduring elimination of Kim Jong-un’s nuclear capabilities.’
Pompeo said on Wednesday that Trump isprepared to ‘walk away’ from the talks if it sensed that they’re headed in the wrong direction.
Pompeo, who has twice met with Kim in North Korea since the beginning of April, told lawmakers during a House Foreign Affairs Committee hearing, ‘We have a generational opportunity to solve a major national security challenge.’
‘We are clear-eyed about the regime’s history. It’s time to solve this once and for all. A bad deal is not an option,’ the president’s point-man on the summit asserted. ‘The American people are counting on us to get this right. If the right deal is not on the table, we will respectfully walk away.’
The vice president made the controversial remarks about the North and Libya on Monday in an interview with Fox New’s Martha MacCallum
Vice President Pence watches the joint march by the athletes of both Koreas at the opening ceremony of the PyeongChang Olympics in PyeongChang earlier this year
Choe said she could suggest to leader Kim Jong Un that North Korea reconsider the summit, set for June 12 in Singapore , if the United States offends the North’s good will
READ THE LETTER TRUMP SENT KIM CANCELING THEIR JUNE NUCLEAR SUMMIT
Donald Trump abruptly called off his planned nuclear weapons summit with North Korean despot Kim Jong-un, citing insults Kim had lobbed at Vice President Mike Pence and warning him about the size and might of the U.S. nuclear arsenal.
Trump addressed a letter to Kim personally, and the White House released a copy of it on May 24:
‘Dear Mr. Chairman:
North Korean President Kim Jong-un
‘We greatly appreciate your time, patience, and effort with respect to our recent negotiations and discussions relative to a summit long sought by both parties, which was scheduled to take place on June 12 in Singapore. We were informed that the meeting was requested by North Korea, but that to us is totally irrelevant. I was very much looking forward to being there with you. Sadly, based on the tremendous anger and open hostility displayed in your most recent statement, I feel it is inappropriate, at this time, to have this long-planned meeting. Therefore, please let this letter serve to represent that the Singapore summit, for the good of both parties, but to the detriment of the world, will not take place. You talk about your nuclear capabilities, but ours are so massive and powerful that I pray to God they will never have to be used.
‘I felt a wonderful dialogue was building up between you and me, and ultimately, it is only that dialogue that matters. Some day, I look very much forward to meeting you. In the meantime, I want to thank you for the release of the hostages who are now home with their families. That was a beautiful gesture and was very much appreciated.’
‘If you change your mind having to do with this most important summit, please do not hesitate to call me or write. The world, and North Korea in particular, has lost a great opportunity for lasting peace and great prosperity and wealth. This missed opportunity is a truly sad moment in history.’
Trump then told DailyMail.com and other reporters he’d make a decision about whether go forward with the June 12 summit in Singapore ‘next week’ and that in the interim he’d just have ‘to see what happens.’
‘It could happen,’ he said as he was leaving the White House. ‘We will know next week about Singapore.’
He said in a follow-on comment after a journalist made note of his pessimism, ‘Someday a date will absolutely happen. It could very well be June 12th. We’ll see. We’ll know next week.’
He did not respond to a query at that time about why he would not go.
Just that morning, reports claimed that the U.S. was sending senior officials to Singapore in advance of the scheduled summit to set the agenda for nuclear talks and firm up logistics.
The move suggested that the Trump administration was indeed moving forward with its plans for a face-to-face with Kim, even as the U.S. president added to mounting speculation that talks would not advance.
Trump on Tuesday in the Oval Office told journalists asking about the June 12 summit, ‘We’re moving along. We’ll see what happens. There are certain conditions we want to happen. I think we’ll get those conditions.’
He added, ‘And if we don’t, we won’t have the meeting.’
‘If it doesn’t happen, maybe it will happen later,’ Trump said. ‘Maybe it will happen at a different time.’
The U.S. president also said, ‘There’s a very substantial chance that it won’t work out, and that’s OK.’
South Korea’s Moon Jae-in and Trump were meeting at the White House at the time to discuss the North’s new demands.
The New York Times had also reported that Trump was considering backing out of the face-to-face talks that could turn into an embarrassment for him.
Trump is said to have surveyed aides the optics of Kim’s own threats to cancel the June 12 meeting with Moon in a weekend phone call.
Chung Eui-yong, national security adviser to Moon, told reporters en route to Washington that he was not only on the call ‘no such thing happened’ and he is ‘99.9 percent’ sure the meeting in Singapore will move forward.
‘We have perceived none of that,’ Chung said of reported nervousness on the part of the U.S.
Trump said Tuesday for the first time that the summit could happen, just at a later date. ‘It may not work out for June 12,’ he said.
He said that he doesn’t ‘want to waste a lot of time’ on talks and suspects that Kim doesn’t either.
A satellite image provided by DigitalGlobe shows the Punggye-ri test site in North Korea as journalist prepare to visit the site ahead of its dismantling
North Korea is expected to demolish the site any day now as part of the peace process
It is located North Hamgyong Province and is the only known nuclear facility in the country
Source: Read Full Article