Woman is killed after bus carrying 50 Ukrainian refugees overturns

Woman is killed and dozens are injured after bus carrying 50 Ukrainian refugees overturns in Italy

  • A young woman was killed after a bus with Ukrainian refugees overturned in Italy
  • Firefighters were at the scene this morning and used a crane to lift up vehicle 
  • Several are said to be injured after bus, carrying 50 refugees, landed on its side 

A woman is dead after an accident where a bus carrying 50 Ukrainian refugees fleeing the war overturned on a major highway in Italy this morning. 

Several are also said to be injured after the incident on the A14 highway near Forli’, a town in the Emilia-Romagna region in northeastern Italy, according to a local report. 

News site Cronache Della Campania said firefighters were extracting the young woman’s body after the incident, which happened just before 7am today.  

Before it overturned, the bus had set out from Ukraine and was heading south to Pescara, an Adriatic port city, according to Italy’s Interior Ministry.

Emergency services used two mobile cranes to set the bus, which landed on its side on a grassy slope, upright and remove it. 

The ministry also said the passengers were taken to a nearby police barracks for initial assistance, and would later resume their journey.  

It added the rest of those aboard were safely evacuated.  

Some 35,000 Ukrainians refugees who fled war in their homeland have entered Italy, most of them through its northeastern border with Slovenia.

Yesterday the ministry tweeted that ‘34,851 refugees have entered Italy from the beginning of the conflict to date: 17,685 women, 3,040 men and 14,126 minors’. 

What caused the bus to overturn was under investigation.

Before it overturned, the bus had set out from Ukraine and was heading south to Pescara, an Adriatic port city, according to Italy’s Interior Ministry

This comes as explosions have been heard on the outskirts of the western Ukrainian city of Lviv after Russian forces launched an attack on a military base just 12 miles from the Polish border, killing at least nine people and injuring dozens more.

According to Ukrainian sources, Vladimir Putin’s forces had launched a missile strike on the International Center for Peacekeeping and Security, also known as Yavoriv military complex, just before 6am this morning.

Initial reports suggested the base had been targeted by eight missiles, but Maksym Kozytskyi, Governor of the region later confirmed 30 cruise missiles had been fired, killing nine people and injuring 57.

A woman is dead after an accident where a bus carrying 50 Ukrainian refugees fleeing the war overturned on a major highway in Italy this morning

The ministry also said the passengers were taken to a nearby police barracks for initial assistance, and would later resume their journey

As the conflict continues to escalate, the UK has been criticised for not taking in more Ukrainian refugees.

Emmanuel Macron this week condemned the UK for not living up to ‘grand statements’ it made on helping Ukrainian refugees and claimed that Britain’s visa policy made it harder for those fleeing war.

Speaking at the end of an EU summit in Versailles on Friday, Mr Macron reportedly criticised Britain’s visa policy which required applicants to make them in person in Brussels or Paris.

Mr Macron said this further exacerbated circumstances for those fleeing the war, according to The Guardian.

According to local news site Cronache Della Campania , firefighters were extracting the young woman’s body after the incident, which happened just before 7am today

Emergency services used two mobile cranes to set the bus, which landed on its side on a grassy slope, upright and remove it

Pictured: Emergency service work on the overturned bus. What caused the accident was under investigation

He added: ‘Despite all the grand statements…the British government continued to apply current rules that meant they did not welcome Ukrainian refugees who wanted to reach British soil saying they have to travel hundreds of kilometres in order to apply for a visa.’

The Home Office responded to Mr Macron’s reported remarks by pointing to previous comments from Home Secretary Priti Patel which said: ‘We are now making the process quicker and simpler by removing the need to physically visit visa application centres for many of those who are making the perilous journey across Europe.’

Ms Patel announced on Thursday that from Tuesday onwards people will be able to apply online for a visa and will not have to go to a processing centre to give their biometrics.

Source: Read Full Article